[webdev] Web Design Update: August 7, 2008

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Thu Aug 7 06:13:28 CDT 2008

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 7, Issue 06, August 7, 2008.

Steppingstones Literature Review Summary
By WebAIM.
"A summary of an extensive literature review which analyzed
recommendations regarding cognitive and learning disabilities and
technology accessibility."
http://webaim.org/projects/steppingstones/litreviewsummary.php

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Mining the SitePoint CSS Reference
By Andrew Tetlaw.
"...While editing the SitePoint CSS Reference I came across many
valuable nuggets of CSS knowledge; things I only partially understood
or was completely unaware of. Here are a few examples..."
http://tinyurl.com/5dwega

CSS Contents and Browser Compatibility
By Peter-Paul Koch.
PPK updated his CSS browser compatibility charts to include iPhone.
http://www.quirksmode.org/css/contents.html

Solving 5 Common CSS Headaches
By Jeffrey Way.
"CSS is a relatively simple language to learn. Mastering it, on the
other, can prove a little more difficult. Compensating for various
browser inconsistencies alone can produce a migraine. In this article,
we'll demystify five of the most head thumping issues that you'll
encounter when building web applications..."
http://nettuts.com/html-css-techniques/solving-5-common-css-headaches/

Using CSS to Make Content Area Images Stretch and Compress
By Phil Smears.
"How CSS can be used to allow images to stretch or compress within
liquid layouts thus preventing layout breaks..."
http://www.sdesign1.com/flexible-css-images.htm

Why 'variables' in CSS are Harmful
By Bert Bos.
"Adding any form of macros or additional scopes and indirections,
including symbolic constants, is not just redundant, but changes CSS in
ways that make it unsuitable for its intended audience. Given that
there is currently no alternative to CSS, these things must not be
added..."
http://www.w3.org/People/Bos/CSS-variables

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

User Interviews - A Basic Introduction
By Alistair Gray.
"It's surprising how few people have a real understanding of who's
using their site. You can collect demographic data on your site
visitors but to really know your users you must have direct contact
with them. Knowing your users means you know what to do to keep them
happy and returning to your site. This month's feature article offers a
basic introduction to user interviews - a great way to gain insights
into user behavior and help improve the usability of your site."
http://tinyurl.com/5jfhe4

Using Persona Advocates to Develop User-Centric Intranets and Portals
By Howard McQueen.
"Intranets and portals are all-or mostly-about serving and enabling
users. What information do they need and what tasks must they
accomplish? How will they look for information? How does it need to be
organized and presented for them to understand and use it? Do users
have expertise in different subject areas or varying levels of
technical vocabularies? Do they need instant information gratification
or will they patiently research until they explore all possibilities?
Do users know what information they are seeking or do they need to be
able to browse for something that will catch their eyes and provide the
'Aha!' experiences. Grasping complex information needs and uses can
indeed be daunting. One powerful design tool, personas, can help make
sense of these needs and provide a framework for building Intranets
that will satisfy a variety of needs. Effectively developed and used,
personas enable Intranet teams to hone in on user needs and build
interfaces and user experiences that end-user audiences can and will
use."
http://www.mcq.com/article-persona

+04: EVENTS.

Fronteers 2008
September 11-12, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
http://fronteers.nl/congres/2008/english

The Future of Web Design
November 3-4, 2008.
New York, New York U.S.A.
http://futureofwebdesign.com/2008/newyork/

+05: JAVASCRIPT.

Introduction to WAI ARIA
By Gez Lemon.
"This article is for those who are new to ARIA. You need an
understanding of HTML and the potential difficulties that people with
disabilities can face using the Web. It is useful to be familiar with
some Rich Internet Applications from a user's perspective. After
reading this article, you'll understand what ARIA is for, how to
integrate it into your sites, and how you can use it now to make even
the simplest of sites more accessible..."
http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/introduction-to-wai-aria/

Enhancing TabView Accessibility with WAI-ARIA Roles and States
By Todd Kloots.
"...through the application of the WAI-ARIA Roles and States, it is
possible to enhance TabView's accessibility such that users of screen
readers perceive it as a desktop tab control..."
http://yuiblog.com/blog/2008/07/30/tabview-aria/

ARIA in Gmail 1: Alerts
By Marco Zehe.
"Google have recently started to put ARIA (Accessible Rich Internet
Applications) into GMail. This means that ARIA is now getting a lot
more exposure than it used to, with GMail being probably one of the
most widely used web applications today. It's great to see that the
hard work Mozilla, IBM, the W3C and especially Aaron Leventhal put into
this standard recommendation is getting this prominent placement so
soon!.."
http://www.marcozehe.de/2008/08/04/aria-in-gmail-1-alerts/

Primitive Data Types, Arrays, Loops, and Conditions
By Stoyan Stefanov.
"Before diving into the object-oriented features of JavaScript, one
needs to look at some of the basics, including: primitive data types,
such as strings and numbers, arrays, common operators, flow control
statements, etc..."
http://www.webreference.com/programming/javascript/beginning-oojs/

+ 06: NAVIGATION.

Linkification
By Cameron Moll.
"How do we select the particular words that are linked within a
sentence or paragraph, and does it matter for the user?"
http://cameronmoll.com/archives/2008/07/linkification/

+07: PHP.

Top Ten Security Vulnerabilities in PHP Code
By Rochak Chauhan.
http://tinyurl.com/5ks8m7

+08: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

A Brave New alt in {HTML5}
By Steve Faulkner.
"After much data crunching Of 'billions of web pages', in his infinite
wisdom the King of HTML5 has given us a whole new way of using the alt
attribute in HTML5..."
http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/?p=84

HTML5 Video Element About to Land in Firefox 3.1
By Stuart Langridge.
"Firefox 3.1 is about to support the HTML5 <video> element, and Opera
already does. This means that both those browsers will have support for
inline video in the browser without plugins. As usual, Internet
Explorer lag behind, and sadly Safari does as well - they're fast at
implementing lots of stuff over at the WebKit team, but Apple don't
like easy video that isn't in a patented format, so the Safari <video>
support only plays stuff that QuickTime can do..."
http://tinyurl.com/5gp453

Announcing the WaSP Curriculum Framework
By Steph Troeth.
"In parallel to the wonderful work that Chris Mills and team are doing
on the Opera Web Standards Curriculum, the Education Task Force has
begun efforts since March this year on a complementary project: the
WaSP Curriculum Framework. Our framework aims to identify the skill
sets and competencies that aspiring Web professionals need to acquire
to prepare them for their chosen careers..."
http://tinyurl.com/6mmqrj

Borderline Semantics/Crossing the Line
By Niels Matthijs.
As modern-day web developers, we eat, breath and sleep semantics. When
adapting designs to html, making our documents as semantic as possible
is one of our main priorities (the other being structuring). Lucky for
us, html is not too complex and most elements have a clear semantic
meaning. Even the generic ones, like div and span elements, have a
clear purpose. But work with html long enough and you'll definitely run
into some borderline cases..."
http://www.onderhond.com/blog/work/borderline-semantics

+09: USABILITY.

Why Usability Versus Branding is Such a Farce
By David Hamill.
"...usability is branding. It shapes people's opinions of your product
or organization. The brand is not a color palette, it is not a typeface
and it is not a selection of images. The brand is the way someone feels
about your product or organization..."
http://tinyurl.com/688wpb

Low Value Content is Destroying Your Website
By Gerry McGovern.
"Low-value content is destroying the usefulness of intranets and public
websites. It needs to be stored separately..."
http://www.gerrymcgovern.com/nt/2008/nt-2008-08-04-archive.htm

7 Essential Guidelines For Functional Design
By Dustin M. Wax.
"Look at what you've made. Beautiful, isn't it? But does it work? For
whom does it work? Of course you can use it, but can anyone else? In
short, is it functional?..."
http://tinyurl.com/6kb6zt

Closed Question Response Categories
By Jessica Enders.
"There are two main types of questions on form: open and closed..."
http://formulate.com.au/articles/closed-question-response-categories/

How Environments, Real And Virtual, Influence Us
By Kyle Mueller.
"What sort of state is your desk in right now? Clutter on your website,
just as in your environment, can have a negative effect on your
visitors' state of mind. Kyle Mueller takes a look at some
of the common pitfalls and how to avoid them."
http://www.digital-web.com/articles/environments_real_and_virtual/

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu