[webdev] Web Design Update: October 31, 2008

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Fri Oct 31 06:17:10 CDT 2008

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 7, Issue 18, October 31, 2008.

03: COLOR.
04: DREAMWEAVER.
10: XML.

Web Accessibility Guidelines 2.0: Better Than a Poke in the Eye With a
Stick?
By Bill Weye.
"The World Wide Web Consortium is planning to implement a new version
of the Web accessibility guidelines this year, and it seems like many
people have had negative things to say about the version 2.0 update
(not official yet). These guidelines affect the way designers and
developers build sites for the disabled, so it's more important than
ever as the Web becomes the de facto repository for information,
commerce and entertainment..."
http://tinyurl.com/6r8vqj

W3C: Global Standards Giant Gears Up For Battle
By Dan Jellinek.
"With the long-awaited appearance of version 2 of the World Wide Web
Consortium's Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) now expected
in December, the spotlight is set to fall once more on the workings of
this key international standards body..."
http://www.headstar.com/eablive/?p=208

Accessibility in Web Design Provides a High Degree of Usability
By Atil.
"Accessibility in web design provides a high degree of usability for
people with disabilities. Mostly based on general design principles,
with some specific extra facilities, accessible design ensures that you
do not deliver a restricted or exclusionary message and therefore
image. Full accessibility design guidelines are provided by the W3C,
the standards body for the Web (http://www.w3.org/WAI). While the focus
of this section is largely on design for blind users who access the web
page via a screen-reader, if you make pages accessible in the ways
suggested you will improve clarity for all users. The BBC has developed
a script called Betsie, which will convert pages to plain HTML."
http://tinyurl.com/5htsa4

Test Case: Speaking Special Characters
By Bob Easton.
"A visitor, Ben Boyle, recently wrote that he was surprised when OSX
Voiceover announced a series of three periods as 'elipsis.' It is a
surprisingly accurate interpretation of a simple character string..."
http://tinyurl.com/5tdsa8

Creating an Accessible Online Tutorial Using Adobe Connect
By Julie Shen.
"This AIM resource is an exemplar tutorial on how to create accessible
online tutorials. Utilizing Adobe Connect, this AIM offers a 'behind
the scenes tour' on how to create online tutorials while adhering to
common accessibility practices. Essentially, this high quality resource
both guides and models the user on how create an accessible online
tutorial by discussing the proper use of story boards, video/audio
features, screen casts, and handouts given different learning
preferences."
http://connect.csupomona.edu/accessiblehowto

Have You Got the X Factor? Building websites for mobile and disabled
users
By Henny Swan.
"Last weekend saw the first ever online conference for web
professionals <head>. Spread over three days roughly 80 speakers from
different time zones hung out with delegates in virtual rooms speaking
on just about any topic you can think of that is web related..."
http://tinyurl.com/6e2kwj

Image Use Cases That WCAG Doesn't Address
WCAG 2.0 Comment 2615.
"...As for the other one you cite above, we think that WCAG currently
draws the line in the right place and changing the standard would
create problems for accessibility."
http://trace.wisc.edu/bugzilla_wcag/issuereports/issue_ind.php?id=2615

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

A CSS Sticky Footer that Just Works
By Ryan Fait.
"We've all tried to use a sticky footer one time or another, but they
never seem to come out right, do they? Well, the days of a hard to
understand CSS-based sticky footer are thankfully over. In just a few
simple CSS classes with minimal extra HTML markup, I've fashioned a
sticky footer that even beginners can get a handle on. It's been tested
in IE 5 and up, Firefox, Safari and Opera..."
http://ryanfait.com/sticky-footer/

+03: COLOR.

Is CSS3 RGBa Ready to Rock? (screen cast)
By Andy Clarke.
"...Run a Google search for RGBa and you'll find that it stands for
Red, Green, Blue, Alpha; a colour space or model with a fourth channel,
an alpha channel, which describes transparency. CSS3 adds this
transparency information to other CSS color properties, enabling you to
not only specify colours in RGB values but (most interestingly) the
alpha-transparency value of that colour..."
http://forabeautifulweb.com/blog/about/is_css3_rgba_ready_to_rock/

+04: DREAMWEAVER.

Working with Images in Dreamweaver CS4
By Sheri German.
"In this tutorial I will show you how to use the Fireworks and
Photoshop image editing integration tools in Dreamweaver using the
Birdland website as an example. You can download the support files and
follow along to create the design for the website."
http://tinyurl.com/5katdg

+05: EVENTS.

Web Design World Boston
December 8-10, 2008.
Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A.
http://webdesignworld.com/2008/boston/default.aspx

California Web Accessibility Conference
January 12, 2009.
Long Beach, California, U.S.A.
http://www.knowbility.org/calwac/

+06: JAVASCRIPT.

JavaScript Namespacing - An Alternative to JavaScript Inheritance
By Robert Nyman.
"When talking about JavaScript and inheritance, something that often go
amiss from the discussion is the alternative of using proper
namespacing instead..."
http://tinyurl.com/6yxmr5

JavaScript and Screen Readers
By Aaron Cannon and Aaron Barker.
"In recent months, many web designers have been asking the question,
'How can I make my dynamic site accessible?' Unfortunately, good
answers have been slow in coming from the accessibility community.
While some articles have touched on the problem, not many have gone
into details. Here is our first attempt at rectifying this situation..."
http://northtemple.com/2008/10/07/javascript-and-screen-readers

+07: MISCELLANEOUS.

Interview with Aarron Walter
By Matthew Pennell.
"Aarron, thanks for taking the time to sit down for an interview with
us, I know you're a busy man so let's get right into the questions.
First, give us some insight into your background. How did you get
started on the web?..."
http://www.digital-web.com/articles/Interview_Aarron_Walter/

Failure Is Not an Option -- It's a Requirement
By Jared M. Spool.
"...One thing is clear from our research: Failing is hard work. All
teams need to get better at it through regular practice."
http://www.uie.com/articles/failure_not_an_option/

+08: NAVIGATION.

Should Arrows be Placed Before Link Text or After?
By Dmitry Fadeyev.
"Sometimes we'd like to use an arrow character or icon together with
the link text to make it look nicer and attract users' attention. These
are little arrows we see often by links such as 'Read more...' at the
end of blog post summaries or 'Learn more' for products and services.
The two variations look something like this..."
http://tinyurl.com/63vtl3

+09: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

W3C Technical Plenary / Advisory Committee Meetings Week 2008
By Silvia Pfeiffer.
"I spent last week in France, near Cannes, at the W3C TPAC meeting.
This is the one big meeting that the W3C has every year to bring
together all (or most) of the technical working groups and other active
groups at the W3C..."
http://tinyurl.com/6rh9r7

Audio ga-ga
By Jeremy Keith.
"Huffduffer is written in HTML5. For the most part, this is no
different to writing in any other flavor of HTML, just with a simpler
DOCTYPE. For the time being, I'm not using any of the new structural
elements like section, article or footer. I am, however, making use of
the audio element..."
http://adactio.com/journal/1524

+10: XML.

Extensibility and Markup, Again and Again
By Shelley Powers.
"Proving that the issues with extensibility will never go away until
faced, and resolved..."
http://tinyurl.com/6evc9l

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu