[webdev] Web Design Update: March 13, 2009

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Fri Mar 13 02:20:06 CDT 2009

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 7, Issue 37, March 13, 2009.

03: DREAMWEAVER.
06: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.
13: XML.

WCAG 2.0 Made Easy. One Guideline a Day.
By Olga Revilla.
"On December 11th, 2008, after 5 years of working, the W3C WAI released
the WCAG 2.0 . They are an evolution of the WCAG 1.0, released on May
5th, 1999, that became a little bit obsolete due to technological
advances. Despite this obsolescence, many laws still stand on these
guidelines. WCAG 2 follows the spirit of trying to bring a most
accessible Web, but with some changes with the previous ones. In this
site, we will see that resemblances and differences..."
http://www.oneguidelineaday.com/table-of-contents/

Accessibility and Learning Theories
By Martyn Cooper.
"...The paper seeks to review the interrelation between accessibility and
learning theory as it relates to eLearning.  Here I give some key points
from the paper for comment if you wish..."
http://tinyurl.com/coo3vk

IMS AccessForAll Meta-data Specification
By Inovation Adoption Learning (ISM) Consortium.
"The AccessForAll Meta-data specification is intended to make it possible
to identify resources that match a user's stated preferences or needs.
These preferences or needs would be declared using the IMS Learner
Information Package Accessibility for LIP specification. The needs and
preferences addressed include the need or preference for alternative
presentations of resources, alternative methods of controlling resources,
alternative equivalents to the resources themselves and enhancements or
supports required by the user. The specification provides a common
language for identifying and describing the primary or default resource
and equivalent alternatives for that resource..."
http://www.imsglobal.org/accessibility/

Captioning Video with 'World Caption'
By University of Wisconsin.
"World Caption is a program for adding captions to a QuickTime compatible
video, using a transcript of that video. While World Caption cannot be
used to generate a transcript, it makes the process of synchronizing a
transcript to video simple, and allows quick and easy generation of
captions."
http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=6525

No Fuss Accessibility
By Antonio DaSilva.
"This article describes how you can quickly and easily create documents
with enhanced accessibility options for vision-impaired users using
Microsoft Word and Adobe Acrobat..."
http://www.writersua.com/articles/accessibility/index.html

Alt-erations
By Markku (Mark) Hakkinen.
"The section on the alt attribute in the current HTML5 working draft that
begins with 'What an img element represents depends on the src attribute
and the alt attribute' really seems to miss the point.  This is the
semantic Web era, correct?  Isn't the conditional logic of the current
draft really trying to affix a meaning or purpose to an image in all the
wrong ways? Ambiguity is not the way..."
http://www.talkinginterfaces.org/2009/03/06/alt-erations/

Connection
By William Loughborough.
"...Are people who provide materials for the Web, but ignore the
'everyone' part ('after all, I'm not writing this for blind people')
bigots, or just uninformed, but well-meaning?..."
http://william-loughborough.blogspot.com/2009/03/connection.html

Does Your Grandfather Surf the Web?
By William Loughborough.
"...Dismissing old folks as pitiful fools is a poor plan for the
continued growth towards universal connection."
http://www.boobam.org/webgeezermild.htm

Web Accessibility as a Political Movement
By David Baron.
"...I think the attitude that evil Web authors need to be forced to care
about accessibility leads to technically worse solutions that require
more work for authors and leave the Web less accessible to disabled users
as a result..."
http://dbaron.org/log/20090311-accessibility

Web Accessibility as a Political Movement IRC Discussion
By Karl Dubost and others.
"hmmm not sure I 100% agree with david..."
http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/html-wg/20090312#l-67

Is Web Accessibility a Human Rights Issue?
By Wendy Chisholm.
"It's important for us to recognize each other's concerns. On the one
hand we have technologists who want to create things to help make the
world better?help people communicate more richly and quickly, to create
technologies for self-expression and commerce. Rock on. We want you to
innovate because you're changing the world.  On the other hand we have
people who want to use the technologies and to participate in society.
When the technologists say, 'Don't make me think about accessibility, I
want to be innovative.' The response from people with disabilities can be
hostile because the message from the technologists is, 'I do not value
you enough to include you in my innovation.'"
http://sp1ral.com/2009/03/is-web-accessibility-a-human-rights-issue/

The Electronic Curb-Cut Effect
By Steve Jacobs.
"Unusual things happen when products are designed to be accessible by
people with disabilities..."
http://www.icdri.org/technology/ecceff.htm

Understanding the Effects of Cognitive Disorders: Parts 1 -3
By Kyle Lamson.
"On the baseline, cognitive disorders are about the brain and problems
understanding things. So there is no easy fix like slapping an alt
attribute in code, increasing color contrast and we will not understand
something whether written or read in a screenreader, using flexible
widths where the content paragraphs are to long can even cause more
trouble for us even though free flexing sizes are considered
accessible..."
http://tinyurl.com/ba6xg7
http://tinyurl.com/bkrpt2
http://tinyurl.com/amevlg

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Practical, Maintainable CSS
By Natalie Downe.
"Continuing my new years resolution to get better at public speaking, I
have now given two talks in 2009 and am signed up to two more. It really
does get easier! The last one I gave was (in hindsight) really quite
fun..."
http://natbat.net/2009/Mar/10/practical-maintainable-css/

Go Green With CSS Print Stylesheets
By Neal Grosskopf.
"...print stylesheets should be used on every website, whether you care
go green or not. It will help your end users save money on printing costs
and will also give you users a more useful printout."
http://www.nealgrosskopf.com/tech/thread.asp?pid=39

Why A Mobile Version Of Your Website Is A Necessity
By Chris Boudy.
"...Using the One Web approach you can look at your existing website and
use mobile style sheets that will highlight commonly used areas while
giving a visitor a reasonable experience while browsing from their mobile
device..."
http://tinyurl.com/cvqhrh

The Shallowness of CSS Evangelism
By Mike Davies.
"...CSS evangelists, consider the merits of your arguments thoroughly.
You'll find that CSS isn't better than tables for layout; it's just
different. Just a different set of trade-offs and compromises. Deepen
your understanding of CSS, especially it's shortcomings, limitations and
it's compromises...."
http://www.isolani.co.uk/blog/standards/TheShallownessOfCssEvangelism

+03: DREAMWEAVER.

Creating a Simple Three-Column Design
By Stephanie Sullivan.
"..., I'll start this article with that two-column layout, change it to
three columns, and look at some simple techniques that can make your site
more attractive..."
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/css_3c_tableless.html

An RDFa Extension for Dreamweaver
By Virginia DeBolt.
"I'm really excited about this Dreamweaver extension. I think it answers
a need. But I'm not seeing an effective way to make use of it at this
point."
http://tinyurl.com/cd5o9j

Is Dreamweaver Being Beaten by Drupal?
By Kurt Cagle.
"...My recommendation to Adobe - study Drupal very closely, not just as a
product but as the harbinger of a wave of products that are developed via
crowdsourcing and community involvement..."
http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2009/03/is-dreamweaver-giving-way-to-d.html

Dreamweaver is Dying
By Tom Arah.
"...The bottom line is that the old model of the central webmaster
hand-spinning every page of every website and, worse, manually adding the
navigation necessary to help users find it, just isn't scalable or
viable. The only feasible course for the future is for content to be
posted by the content contributor, whether that's the site owner or site
visitors, and for the best possible navigation to be constructed around
that content on the fly..."
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2009/03/05/dreamweaver-is-dying/

+04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Writing Usability Requirements and Metrics
Janet M. Six.
"In this installment of Ask UXmatters, our experts discuss how to write
effective usability requirements and metrics for the redesign of a legacy
public sector system."
http://tinyurl.com/bjanrq

What Counts: Measuring the Effectiveness of Your Design
By Dana Chisnell.
"...tracking data for every session can keep the whole team honest. When
there are numbers, the team can decide together what to do with them..."
http://tinyurl.com/aeph5r

Deconstructing Analysis Techniques
By Steve Baty.
"Analysis is that oft-glossed over, but extremely important step in the
research process that sits between observation (data gathering) and our
design insights or recommendations. In many respects, analysis is crucial
to realizing the value of our research since good analysis can salvage
something from bad research, but the converse is not so true. This is
where the literature tends to fall a little silent, jumping over the
analysis techniques straight to a discussion of how best to document and
communicate the findings from analysis. This article seeks to begin to
redress that imbalance by breaking down the analysis black box into its
major sub-techniques..."
http://tinyurl.com/alj48e

Setting Up a Screen Reader Test Environment
By Henny Swan.
"...some tips to get you started when setting up a screen reader testing
environment...."
http://www.iheni.com/screen-reader-testing/

+05: EVENTS.

SXSW Interactive 2009 High Ed Web Meetup/TweetUp
March 15, 2009.
Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/2112189/

JavaScript: The Good Parts with Douglas Crockford
March 30, 2009.
University of California, San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
http://training.oreilly.com/javascript/

Handcrafted Bulletproof CSS with Dan Cederholm
November 23, 2009.
London, United Kingdom
http://carsonworkshops.com/2009/dancederholm/index.html

+06: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

For Cardsorting, 20 is Enough
By Kath Straub.
"Tullis and Woods conducted a real data simulation study to determine the
practically optimal number of participants need for cardsorting..."
http://connect.humanfactors.com/profiles/blogs/researchdriveby-1

+07: JAVASCRIPT.

JavaScript Best Practices
By Christian Heilmann.
"...I've decided to make it easier for you by creating this article,
which is a compilation of best practices and good advice I've amassed
over the years, much of it learnt the hard way (experimentation and
suchlike). Take the advice below to heart and keep it in a part of your
brain that has a quick access route so you can apply it without thinking
about it. I am sure you will find things to disagree with, and that is a
good thing - you should question what you read, and strive to find better
solutions. However, I have found that following these principles has made
me a more effective developer and allowed other developers to build upon
my work more easily..."
http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/javascript-best-practices/

More Accessible YUI Grids Layouts with ARIA Landmark Roles
By Todd Kloots.
"...ARIA Landmark Roles improve the content parsability of Grids for
users of screen readers. By allowing developers to declare the intended
purpose of each section of a layout, Landmark Roles provide semantic
meaning to each section of a Grid, giving users of screen readers a
high-level summary of how a page is organized..."
http://yuiblog.com/blog/2009/03/05/aria-grids/

When Will Developers Be Able to Rely on ARIA?
WebAIM Thread.
"...Since the accessibility benefits of ARIA are so revolutionary, do we
expect the adoption rate to be high? WAI-ARIA is in last call working
draft, so we don't know how long that will take to finalize, but there
seems to be good support for major browsers and major screen readers. The
question is will it be soon enough?"
http://webaim.org/discussion/mail_thread.php?thread=3793

Server-side JavaScript Will Be as Common as PHP
By Andrew Tetlaw.
"Reading through the comments on Craig Buckler's blog post, Will
Server-side JavaScript ever catch on?; confirms what Douglas Crockford
wrote about JavaScript: it's been typecast..."
http://tinyurl.com/an8jrr

When You Can't Count On Your Numbers
By Douglas Crockford.
"JavaScript has a single number type: IEEE 754 Double Precision floating
point. Having a single number type is one of JavaScript's best features.
Multiple number types can be a source of complexity, confusion, and
error. A single type is simplifying and stabilizing..."
http://yuiblog.com/blog/2009/03/10/when-you-cant-count-on-your-numbers/

+08: MISCELLANEOUS.

How To Be a Program Manager
by Joel Spolsky.
"Having a good program manager is one of the secret formulas to making
really great software. And you probably don't have one on your team,
because most teams don't..."

Sharpening the Saw
By Jeff Atwood.
"Sharpening the saw is shorthand for anything you do that isn't
programming, necessarily, but (theoretically) makes you a better
programmer...?

Stage Directions Meet Functional Specifications: They Have a Lot in Common
By Traci Lepore.
"When it comes to modern theater, stage directions?the descriptive text
that appears within brackets in a script?are an important piece of the
puzzle. They speak for the playwright when he is not there. They provide
details about how the playwright has imagined the environment and
atmosphere. They describe critical physical aspects of the characters and
settings. Stage directions can also be critical in dictating the intended
tempo and rhythm of the piece. Whether they establish a production's
overall tone or elucidate particular actions of characters, stage
directions help tell the complete story that is in the playwright's mind.
Stage directions accomplish all of this, using a simple convention that
structurally separates them from the actual story."
http://tinyurl.com/c3czod

+09: NAVIGATION.

Choosing the Right Search Results Page Layout: Make the Most of Your Width
By Greg Nudelman.
"When deciding on the layout for your search results pages, clearly
define the appropriate page behavior at all screen sizes your audience
uses."
http://tinyurl.com/d3y7bf

+10: PHP.

PHP: Sorting arrays randomly with array_randsort()
By Tiffany B. Brown.
"A custom PHP function. This function will return an array that's been
resorted in a random order. Supports both numerically-indexed and
associative arrays. Uses PHP's native array_rand() function..."
http://tinyurl.com/bm9ukm

+11: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

Marking Up a Blog with HTML 5 (part 2)
By Bruce Lawson.
"Further refining the HTML 5 structure..."
http://www.brucelawson.co.uk/2009/marking-up-a-blog-with-html-5-part-2/

HTML4.2
By Douglas Crockford.
Douglas Crockford finds HTML5 misguided. Proposes starting HTML4.2
effort. He says, "...Doing research and standards together is very bad.
Standards must be stable and reliable. Research is destabilizing and
risky. Doing both together is a recipe for disaster..."
http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-TBPekxc1dLNy5DOloPfzVvFIVOWMB0li?p=978

Challenging Times for HTML 5
By Shawn Medero.
"Douglas Crockford, perhaps best known for standardizing JSON, launched
another shot across the bow of HTML 5 on his Yahoo! 360 blog titled 'HTML
4.2'..."
http://tinyurl.com/djb5nb

This Week Day in HTML 5 - Episode 24
By Mark Pilgrim.
"...virtually anything can be focusable, because HTML 5 standardizes a
crucial accessibility feature that most modern browsers now implement,
namely that any element can have a tabindex attribute..."
http://blog.whatwg.org/this-week-day-in-html-5-episode-24

Sweetness Follows?
By David Sloan.
"...the standards-based approaches are the way to go - as far as
possible. But in the messy world of the Web, this may - for valid reasons
- not be all the way. Just like that 50 MPH speed limit on an open,
straight stretch of rural road is no more making it safe than the 30 mph
limit on the city road outside a school at 3 PM when it's raining, your
wiper blade has stopped working properly, you're tired, and stressed by
the white van in your rear view mirror."
http://58sound.wordpress.com/2009/03/10/sweetness-follows/

Why Validate?
By Olivier Thereaux.
"This document attempts to answer the questions many people have
regarding why they should bother with Validating their web sites and
tries to dispel a few common myths."
http://qa-dev.w3.org/wmvs/HEAD/docs/why

Progress on Captions for HTML5 Video
By Silvia Pfeiffer.
"Paul Rouget this week published another example implementation for using
srt with HTML5 video with a javascript library. This is at least the
fourth javascript implementation that I know of for attaching srt
subtitles to the video element..."
http://tinyurl.com/cozpzh

+12: USABILITY.

5 Writing Tips for Web Designers
By Rick Sloboda.
"Poorly written web writing misleads visitors and wastes millions of
hours daily..."
http://www.webdesignerwall.com/general/5-writing-tips-for-web-designers/

What Does Aesthetics Have To Do With Usability?
By Jon White.
"...Aesthetics and usability support each other and when they work
together they can be the difference between a good website and a
first-rate one."
http://www.usabilitynews.com/news/article5483.asp

+13: XML.

XHTML Document Development Area
By W3C XHTML Working Group.
"The XHTML Working Group is developing a number of different documents.
Editing of these documents goes on almost constantly. Rather than attempt
to manage formal publication of interim 'Editor's Drafts', the working
group has elected to automatically update its document development space
each time an update is made..."
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Drafts/

RDFa on MediaWiki
By Toby A Inkster.
"I've written a quick patch to enable RDFa on MediaWiki..."
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdfa/2009Mar/0010.html

WEB DESIGN UPDATE is available by subscription. For information on how to
subscribe and unsubscribe please visit:

accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me know if
there is anything else we can do to make navigation easier. For TEN

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu