[webdev] Web Design Update: April 10, 2009

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Fri Apr 10 06:40:16 CDT 2009

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 7, Issue 41, April 10, 2009.

Inclusive Design, Part 1
By Bruce 'Tog' Tognazzini.
"Have you ever thought about what it would be like to be disabled?
Well, you better start thinking about it..."
http://tinyurl.com/cplf7h

Contacting Organizations with Inaccessible Websites (draft)
By Web Accessibly Initiative.
This page has information that may help people who are encountering
accessibility barriers with Web pages to advise those organizations
about the Web accessibility difficulties they might be experiencing. It
may also assist people and organizations working with or supporting
people with disabilities and older people to report inaccessible Web
pages. It describes an approach to contacting organizations whose Web
pages are difficult or impossible to use, explaining that there are
barriers on the pages, and following up..."
http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/responding/

Opencast Project Open House at UC Berkeley
By UC Berkeley.
"Opencast is an initiative driven by higher education institutions to
empower: 1. institutions - to make informed choices about capture,
processing, and distribution infrastructure for audio/video. 2. faculty
- to teach courses and share knowledge with their students and learners
worldwide without technology getting in the way. 3. students - to
access and shape media into a more meaningful tool for learning. 4.
everyone - to easily find and engage with educational video, audio, and
other rich media from instructors and institutions around the world."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WJez1XjI88

Accessible Lecture Capture Workshop
"Presentations included keynote presentation by Phil Bravin, longtime
Gallaudet University board member and former President and CEO of
National Captioning Institute, and presentations by Gallaudet
University and George Washington University on their use of the Echo360
system. To watch the Echo captured version of this workshop go to:"
http://tinyurl.com/c7xgbb

Fewer than 10 Percent of Blind Americans Read Braille
By Associate Press.
"Jordan Gilmer has a degenerative condition that eventually will leave
him completely blind. But as a child, his teachers did not emphasize
Braille, the system of reading in which a series of raised dots signify
letters of the alphabet. Instead, they insisted he use what little
vision he had to read print. By the third grade, he was falling behind
in his schoolwork..."
http://tinyurl.com/dh44zu

9 Ways to Make Your Site More Accessible
By Douglas T.
The obvious follow up question to 9 Reasons Why Accessibility Matters
is 'How do I do that' It’s not really as difficult as it might seem.
Answer these nine questions, and see how your site’s accessibility can
be improved..."
http://douglast.com/thoughts/archives/406

Lynx Browser and Accessibility
By Steve Grobschmidt.
"As I covered in Web Accessibility 101: Assistive Technologies, the
text browser Lynx is particularly useful for stripping down a web site
to its raw, GUI-less nature. Why is this useful?..."
http://www.theaccessibility.com/?p=150

Accessible Twitter, Accessible Tweets
By Matthew Smith.
"Twitter is one of a host of web-based social networking tools,
excellent in concept, but (in my opinion) less-than-perfect in
implementation - especially when it comes to usability/accessibility.
Whilst this article discusses Twitter and Twitter messages (updates,
tweets,) certain aspects apply equally to other contexts..."
http://tinyurl.com/cbxphx

Accessibility Study, Why We All Fail?
By Jagat Jasjit Singh.
"This website is part of University research work being done to find
out why we are not able to make our websites accessible. Today almost
95% of the websites don't pass required accessibility levels. We are
thinking from Webmasters point of view, trying to find the bottleneck
for the whole problem. Your comments suggestions are welcome"
http://accessibility-study.blogspot.com/

WCAG 2.0 and the Future of Web Accessibility: Q and A Part 1
By IBM.
"Judy, can you tell us the primary differences between WCAG 1.0 and
WCAG 2.0?..."
http://www-03.ibm.com/able/news/wcag20q&a1.html

Accessibility Is More Than 'Possible to Access'
By Roger Johansson.
"When those of us who care about accessibility try to make the web
sites or web applications we build accessible, we sometimes forget to
think beyond making them possible to access."
http://tinyurl.com/dlgpkq

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

The Art of CSS Positioning
By Rob MacKay.
"CSS Positioning is one thing I used to struggle with, hopefully I can
help you understand how positioning works and what it's affected by,
and iron out some of those kinks..."
http://tutshelf.com/the-art-of-css-positioning/

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Website Evaluation Rubric
By Denny Lancaster.
"Among the ancients, according to Columella, Vitruvius, and Pliny, the
word rubrica, or rubric, signified the red earth used by carpenters to
mark on wood the line to follow when cutting it; according to Juvenal
the same name was applied to the red titles under which the
jurisconsults arranged the announcements of laws. Soon the red colours,
at first used exclusively for writing the titles, passed to the
indications or remarks made on a given text.."
http://www.faeriekeeper.net/criteria38.htm

Future of Web Management is Evidence-Based
By Gerry McGovern.
"...This is the age of evidence, not opinion. Strong leadership is
about saying: "let's test this idea." It is not a sign of weakness to
observe and listen. Strength comes from understanding customer behavior
data, and the Web is a perfect environment in which to gather such
data."
http://www.gerrymcgovern.com/nt/2009/nt-2009-04-06-web-management.htm

Findings From the Web Design Survey, 2008
by A List Apart.
"If we, the people who make websites, want the world to know who we are
and what we do, it’s up to each of us to stand up and represent. This
year, 30,055 of you did just that, taking time out of your busy work
day to answer the detailed questions in the second A List Apart Survey.
Find out what we learned about our profession and ourselves...."
http://alistapart.com/articles/findingsfromthewebdesignsurvey2008

15 Essential Checks Before Launching Your Website
By Lee Munroe.
"This article reviews some important and necessary checks that
web-sites should be checked against before the official launch ? little
details are often forgotten or ignored, but ? if done in time ? may sum
up to an overall greater user experience and avoid unnecessary costs
after the official site release."
http://tinyurl.com/cprnms

+04: EVENTS.

New Standards to Facilitate eLearning
By Dennis Carter.
"Common Cartridge reportedly will allow any digital content to work
with any standards-based software..."
http://www.eschoolnews.com/news/top-news/index.cfm?i=57976

Real World Accessibility for Ajax and Web Apps
June 15, 2009.
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://furtherahead.com/workshops/ottawa2009/

Web Design World
July 20-22, 2009.
Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
http://webdesignworld.com/2009/seattle/

+05: JAVASCRIPT.

Javascript + HTML5: The Future of Education Software
By Bryan W. Berry.
"Several months ago, I wrote how to make activity designers happy by
making it easier to create simple learning activities using popular
software development tools, particularly for the Sugar learning
environment. Back then, I concluded that Adobe's Flash player and Flex
libraries were the proper tools for this purpose. I was wrong..."
http://tinyurl.com/cs6z72

Augmenting Button Text with ARIA
By Becky Gibson.
"Say you have a set of invitations to connect to colleagues in your
favorite social networking software. These might be listed one after
another with an accept and reject button associated with each request.
But, if someone is using a screen reader to just tab through the
buttons on the page, how would you know which button is associated with
each invite? Certainly the designers are not likely to want to put the
user name within the button text, so how can we make this easier for
the person using a screen reader or screen magnifier to access the
page?..."
http://www.weba11y.com/blog/2009/04/09/augmenting-button-text-with-aria/

+06: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

What Are Web Standards? (Video)
By Jeffrey Zeldman.
"What are web standards? And why should I care? A fun new clip from the
BigThink marathon Zeldman interview..."
http://www.zeldman.com/2009/04/08/what-are-web-standards/

Help Tidy HTML 5 (and get your name in lights)
By Bruce Lawson.
"The editor of the HTML 5 spec, Ian Hickson, calls for input on issues
in the spec-typos, contradictions, or simply confusing bits. If
everything goes according to plan, all issues will get a response from
the editor before October..."
http://www.webstandards.org/2009/04/02/1709/

What's New in HTML5?
By Richard Heyes.
"HTML4 has been with us for a while now, roughly ten years. And it
hasn't really seen a major update. Sure there's XHTML, but that did
little more than make things slightly stricter - making you write
better quality code if you were at all concerned with compliance. HTML5
does more than that. For one thing it adds a few new features. Not a
huge amount, but the ones that it does add are very useful. Work on
HTML5 started way back in 2004, and now it's starting to get
interesting. Browser support is increasing, and the element I'm most
interested in - CANVAS - is supported by four out of the major five
browsers. It is however though, not really feasible though to use it
since MSIE doesn't have any support for it..."
http://www.phpguru.org/static/html5.html

Making <time> Safe for Historians
By Peter-Paul Koch.
"The HTML 5 spec introduces the <time> element to mark up a date or
time. Although I support the inclusion of these semantics in HTML, I
believe that the current specification of the <time> element is vague
because it avoids the question whether the element is safe for
historians. Right now it hurts historical research more than it helps.
In this entry I'll explain why..."
http://www.quirksmode.org/blog/archives/2009/04/making_time_saf.html

This Week in HTML 5 - Episode 29
By Mark Pilgrim.
"...The big news for the week of March 30th is the addition of a
synchronous database API to the Web Storage spec (which was split out
from the HTML 5 spec a few weeks ago). This new API defines a
DatabaseSync object whose methods return SQLTransactionSync objects.
This directly mirrors the asynchronous database API, which had already
defined a Database object whose methods return SQLTransaction
objects..."
http://blog.whatwg.org/this-week-in-html-5-episode-29

HTML Reunification
By Sam Ruby.
"...perhaps we can get a candidate recommendation out next year for the
browser behavior portions of the document."
http://intertwingly.net/blog/2009/04/08/HTML-Reunification

Everyone Wants Their Thing to be HTML
By Rob Sayre.
"My plan is to produce a draft that is smaller than my last one. It
will not include XHTML of any kind, and it will characterize elements
and attributes that are not defined by the HTML specification as “not
part of HTML”. This characterization will apply to the <audio> element
and RDFa alike..."
http://blog.mozilla.com/rob-sayre/2009/04/08/htmlwg/

+07: USABILITY.

Human Computer Interaction (HCI)
By John M. Carroll.
History, implications and learning more.
http://tinyurl.com/dz2wfy

First 2 Words = A Signal for the Scanning Eye
By Jakob Nielsen.
"Testing how well people understand a link's first 11 characters shows
whether sites write for users, who typically scan rather than read
lists of items."
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/nanocontent.html

How Relying on 'User Education' is a Failed Strategy
By Frank Spillers.
"Maybe you have heard the saying 'we'll take care of that in user
training'. The notion that problems users have can be resolved by user
training is severely flawed. Yet entire departments rally around this
belief and worse many companies seem to wrap product management around
it. The idea that you can educate users about how to use a user
interface is misguided. The goal of usability is to create intuitive
user interfaces..."
http://tinyurl.com/ctokf5

The Study of Visual Aesthetics in Human-Computer Interaction
M. Hassenzahl, G. Lindgaard, A. Platz, N. Tractinsky, editors.
"This seminar intended to gather a group of about 25-30 participants
who will exchange ideas, views, and case study results that address the
seminar's themes. We aimed at discussing methodologies and measures in
the study of visual aesthetics in HCI, to explore design antecedents of
aesthetic interactive systems, as well as consequences of aesthetic
design or aesthetic experience in HCI. We anticipated that the outcome
of the seminar will contribute to clarifying the concept, provide an
overview of existing practical resources such as measurement scales,
solidify the body of knowledge in this area, and generally spark
interest in aesthetics in the HCI community."
http://drops.dagstuhl.de/portals/index.php?semnr=08292

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu