[webdev] Web Design Update: May 1, 2009

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Fri May 1 06:25:30 CDT 2009

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 7, Issue 44, May 1, 2009.

03: COLOR.
04: EVALUATION & TESTING.
05: FLASH.
09: TOOLS.

Create Your Own Accessibility Statement
By Leonie Watson.
"Increasingly, people are including declarations on their websites that
define the level of web accessibility the website aims to achieve.
Known as Accessibility Statements, these declarations take the form of
a short information page which is available via a link from every page
of the website."
http://tinyurl.com/cxlwzx

Web Accessibility Statements - The Best Of Intentions, Clearly Stated
By headstar.
"...The accessibility statement is seen as central to having a website
that is accessible to all users, including people with disabilities,
the report says. However, despite the low level of excellent practice
found, local authority sites fare well when compared with the private
sector, it says. No private sector statements were found to be
excellent, and just 16 per cent were satisfactory..."
http://www.headstar.com/eablive/?p=281

New Accessible Web Site Agreement
By Lainey Feingold.
"Staples announced today that it has agreed to make
its web site accessible to people with disabilities and to install
tactile keypads at flat screen pos devices..."
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2009AprJun/0081.html

Pitfalls of Web Accessibility Evaluation Tools
By Peter Krantz.
"Automated web accessibility evaluation tools are hard to trust,
understand and only provides feedback on a small amount of factors that
influence accessibility. Also, a unified web evaluation methodology
should be adopted to provide consistent results across tools."
http://tinyurl.com/dxf4ns

Finest Worksong
By David Sloan.
"...here's a summary of my perspective of what's happened since WCAG
1.0 was published. I plot developments in four stages, with approximate
time periods for each..." (props given to @geezer and @johnfoliot)
http://58sound.com/2009/04/27/finest-worksong/

Captioning and Audio Description
By Alternate Media Thread.
"...I am interested in what different campuses are doing concerning
Audio descriptions for the blind and captioning in the classroom..."
http://htclistserv.htctu.fhda.edu/read/messages?id=40738

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Basic Table Styling with CSS (New Screencast)
By Chris Coyier.
"Tables are great. They are perfectly suited for use on the web. That
is, for displaying tabular data! In this screencast we'll cover what
that actually means, take a look at a table, the markup that creates
it, quirks and things-you-should-know. Then we start styling it up with
CSS and quickly touch on some jQuery bonus stuff at the end..."
http://css-tricks.com/new-screencast-basic-table-styling-with-css/

How to Improve 37signals.com with 1 Line of CSS
By Sam Brown.
"a:hover {opacity: 0.75;}"
http://tinyurl.com/de9m2v

The Mystery Of CSS Sprites: Techniques, Tools And Tutorials
By Smashing.
"CSS Sprites are not new. In fact, they are a rather well-established
technique and have managed to become common practice in Web
development. Of course, CSS sprites are not always necessary, but in
some situation they can bring significant advantages and improvements -
particularly if you want to reduce your server load. And if you haven't
heard of CSS sprites before, now is probably a good time to learn what
they are, how they work and what tools can help you create and use the
technique in your projects..."
http://tinyurl.com/ce8pxw

The Art of Crafting Beautiful Stylesheets
By Saddam Azad.
"Crafting beautiful stylesheets is not a dark art. Yes, it takes
discipline, commitment and persistence but with a few tricks up your
sleeve, you too can be a CSS ninja. Let me show you a few techniques I
use to craft readable, maintainable and easy to debug stylesheets..."
http://tinyurl.com/djeygs

Don't Use @import
By Steve Souders.
"...use LINK instead of @import if you want stylesheets to download in
parallel resulting in a faster page..."
http://www.stevesouders.com/blog/2009/04/09/dont-use-import/

Using an XML Declaration Triggers Quirks Mode in IE 6
By Roger Johansson.
"If you use an XHTML doctype in your documents, do not include an XML
declaration unless you want Internet Explorer 6 to use its Quirks
mode..."
http://tinyurl.com/cg3fuf

+03: COLOR.

Guideline 1.4 Separate Background From Foreground
By Olga Revilla.
"Make it easier for users to see and hear content including separating
foreground from background..."
http://tinyurl.com/dc9e29

+04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

User Research for Personas and Other Audience Models
By Steve Baty.
"...this article is about the ingredients we can draw on when creating
audience models and some alternative ways of communicating the results
of an audience analysis..."
http://tinyurl.com/d8md2y

Analysis, Plus Synthesis: Turning Data into Insights
By Lindsay Ellerby.
"Conducting primary user research such as in-depth interviews or field
studies can be fairly straightforward, when compared with what you face
upon returning to the office with piles of notes, sketches, user
journals, and audio and video recordings. You may ask, What should I do
with all this data? and How do I turn it into something meaningful?"
http://tinyurl.com/c2ensc

+05: FLASH.

Firefox Focus and Actual Links
By Andrew Kirkpatrick.
"I mentioned at the TPG Webinar on Flash that there is a way around the
issues with focus trapping in Firefox. My friend and
accessibility-colleague Michael Jordan has developed a simple example
that shows how to get focus in and out of Flash content in Firefox
(using the SWFFocus class). Also in this example he shows how to make
links that are not buttons, but use the MSAA link role. This has always
been possible, but usually people use the button role."
http://tinyurl.com/c55hnt

+06: JAVASCRIPT.

Enhanced Keyboard-Accessible Google Maps
By Martin Kliehm.
"Patrick H. Lauke wrote an excellent article about keyboard-accessible
Google Maps on the Opera Developer website. Still I was able to improve
it slightly when I implemented an accessible map myself. I would like
to share these modifications with you..."
http://learningtheworld.eu/2009/keyboard-accessible-google-maps/

Introduction, Test Cases and Web Browser Compatibility Tables for
JavaScript 1.6, JavaScript 1.7 & JavaScript 1.8
By Robert Nyman.
"Lately I've been investigating newer versions of JavaScript, and what
web browser support they have. And, as usual when I create something I
find useful, I want to share it with the world..."
http://tinyurl.com/d4xeko

A Couple of Quick Tips for JavaScript Optimization
By Jonathan Christopher.
"...I'd like to quickly discuss a couple things I've started doing to
ease the load of JavaScript on the browser and therefore the user..."
http://tinyurl.com/dfbgoc

YUI Theater - PPK (Peter-Paul Koch): JavaScript Events
By Eric Miraglia.
"PPK (Peter-Paul Koch) of Quirksmode has been sharing his research into
browser quirks for years, and this year he's turned his attention to
mobile browsers while doing a consultancy for Vodafone. That work has
got him thinking about JavaScript events once again, and, as is his
habit, the results of his research are freely available to the rest of
us on Quirksmode (big-screen browser compatibility tables; mobile
browser compatibility tables)."
http://yuiblog.com/blog/2009/04/27/video-ppk-jsevents/

Objects in JavaScript (part II)
By Dmitry's Tumblr.
"I will not write about prototypical inheritance in JavaScript today.
Instead let's take a look at one misunderstanding..."
http://tinyurl.com/dhflru

JavaScript for Hackers
By Gareth Heyes.
"I love to use JavaScript in unexpected ways, to create code that looks
like it shouldn't work but does, or produces some unexpected behavior.
This may sound trivial, but the results I've found lead to some very
useful techniques. Each of the techniques described can be used for XSS
filter evasion, which was my original intention when developing them.
However, learning such JavaScript can dramatically increase your
knowledge of the language, helping you become better at cleaning up
input, and increase web application security. So read on and enjoy my
weird and wonderful JavaScript hacks..."
http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/opera-javascript-for-hackers-1/

Using JavaScript to Style Active Navigation Elements
By Rob Glazebrook.
"I'm all about efficiency when I'm writing web code. Any time I find
myself writing the same functionality more than once or twice, I try to
consider whether my repeated code could be wrapped into a function of
some sort."
http://tinyurl.com/dneta2

+07: MISCELLANEOUS.

How Much Intelligence Does Good Design Really Require?
By Jens Meiert.
"Of the definitions for art, design, and decoration I published back in
the days, I do believe in the statement that design works - or has to
work, respectively - the most. However, one thing's still challenging
me, and that is how much intelligence good, working design requires..."
http://meiert.com/en/blog/20090428/intelligence-and-good-design/

Reverse Developing Website Strategy
By Ross Johnson.
"...Focus instead on what you want to get out of it first. What are the
1 - 4 goals that the web site should actively accomplish..."
http://tinyurl.com/dztoo7

+08: NAVIGATION.

Using a taxonomy to create faceted navigation.
By Stephanie Lemieux.
Stephanie Lemieux "shares her tips on what facets are and how teams can
implement them effectively."
http://www.uie.com/articles/faceted_search

+09: TOOLS.

Color Oracle
"Color Oracle takes the guesswork out of designing for color blindness
by showing you in real time what people with common color vision
impairments will see. Color Oracle applies a full screen color filter
to art you are designing - independently of the software that you are
using..."
http://colororacle.cartography.ch/

+10: USABILITY.

You're Only a First-Time User Once
By Steve Calde.
"Remember: a person is a first-time user exactly once (and in the case
of the infusion pump, because of training and observation, nurses were
actually never really first-time users), and in many cases a beginner
for only a very short while."
http://www.cooper.com/journal/2009/04/first-time.html

World's Best Headlines: BBC News
By Jakob Nielsen.
"Precise communication in a handful of words? The editors at BBC News
achieve it every day, offering remarkable headline usability."
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/headlines-bbc.html

Traditional Writing Skills Don't Work on Web
By Gerry McGovern.
"Most web content is overwritten; too much content, too much  context,
not nearly enough focus on the action. Unfortunately,  we're taught to
write this way."
http://tinyurl.com/ded27q

Men Like It Fast
By Andy King.
"In a recent usability survey, researchers from Southern Illinois
University found that after ease of use, men prefer fast download speed
to easy navigation. Women prefer ease of use, easy navigation, and
accessibility. The researchers hypothesize that these different
usability criteria are due to differences in how men and women use the
Web."criteria are due to differences in how men and women use
the Web."
http://www.websiteoptimization.com/speed/tweak/usability-criteria/

Web Users Prefer Speed Over Customization
By Andy King.
"The most important interface design factor is speed, according to a
new HCI study. Good interface design is essential for widespread user
adoption and ultimately website success."
http://www.websiteoptimization.com/speed/tweak/design-factors/

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu