[webdev] Web Design Update: June 12, 2009

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Fri Jun 12 06:16:00 CDT 2009

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 7, Issue 50, June 12, 2009.

Purpose of the summary Attribute
By Gez Lemon.
"The purpose of the summary attribute is to concisely describe the
structure of a data table. The summary attribute is not intended to
provide a long description for data tables."
http://juicystudio.com/article/purpose-of-the-summary-attribute.php

Help Screen Reader Users by Giving Data Tables a Summary
By Roger Johansson.
"...To help users of non-visual browsers understand and navigate data
tables, you can use the summary attribute to provide a description of
the purpose of the table and describe its structure. The summary
attribute is not displayed in graphical browsers, so the information
you put there should be written for non-visual users..."
http://tinyurl.com/qtmbjh

Playing with YouTube Captions
By Terrill Thompson.
"I've been playing this week with closed captions on YouTube. YouTube
announced support for closed captions in August 2008, and followed that
announcement with this demonstration video. This inspired us at DO-IT
to create our own YouTube Channel and to start uploading captioned
videos..."
http://terrillthompson.com/2009/06/playing-with-youtube-captions.html

Refreshable Braille
By Roger Hudson.
"...nearly all assume a screen reader is an audio output device and
when asked if they have seen a Braille device, the answer is usually
no..."
http://accessites.org/site/2009/06/refreshable-braille/

Accessibility and You
By Chris Heilmann.
Brownbag presentation materials.
http://tinyurl.com/qkybr7

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

CSS: The Maintenance Issue Number 1 and How You Can Avoid It
By Jens Meiert.
"The biggest - as most unnecessary - maintenance issue in web
development is, as my recent research shows, style sheet naming and
integration..."
http://meiert.com/en/blog/20090527/css-maintenance-issue-1/

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Guesses vs. Data as Basis for Design Recommendations
By Jakob Nielsen.
"Even the tiniest amount of empirical facts (say, observing 2 users)
vastly improves the probability of making correct UI design decisions."
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/guesses-data.html

+04: EVENTS.

The CSS Summit
July 18, 2009.
Online Event
http://www.environmentsforhumans.com/

+05: JAVASCRIPT.

WAI-ARIA Implementation in JavaScript UI Libraries
By Steve Faulkner.
"A number of popular Javascript UI Libraries are in the process of
adding WAI-ARIA support to their widgets and components. What is the
current status and future plans for WAI-ARIA implementation in these
libraries?..."
http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/?p=313

+06: MISCELLANEOUS.

Managing Werewolves
By Michael Lopp.
"While you're always optimistic when leading a team, you know that not
everyone's got your back. Liars and poor communicators can wipe out
good work faster than a 404 error. Learn how to think critically about
verbal and non-verbal behavior and to separate office politics from
truth, so you don't let the Werewolves win."
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/managing-werewolves/

+07: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

WAI CG Consensus Resolutions on Text alternatives in HTML 5
By WAI-CG Task Force.
"This report provides WAI consensus recommendations for alternative
text support in HTML 5. On January 14, 2009 the WAI-CG created a Task
Force on Alternative Text, to consider the various alternative text
approaches discussed over the past few years, and to develop consensus
WAI recommendations for appropriate handling of alternative text in
HTML5. These recommendations have been reviewed by the following WAI
Working Groups: Authoring Tools Working Group (AUWG), Protocols &
Formats Working Group (PFWG), User Agent Working Group (UAWG), and Web
Content (WCAG WG)."
http://www.w3.org/2009/06/Text-Alternatives-in-HTML5

Thinking About Canvas Accessibility
By Steve Faulkner.
"The canvas element is a new element of the 'in progress' HTML 5
specification, it provides the ability to create dynamically generated
graphics in HTML in conjunction with JavaScript. It has rightly
generated a lot of interest due to the possibilities it presents,
canvas 'can be used for rendering graphs, game graphics, or other
visual images on the fly'. While its creative features are
sophisticated, its 'feature' (duplicate all canvas content as HTML
inside the canvas element) for providing an accessible content can best
be described as a primitive example of  'bolt on' accessibility..."
http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/?p=362

Notes on Accessibility of Text Replacement Using HTML5 Canvas
By Steve Faulkner.
"Roger Johansson recently blogged on issues with Cufon Accessibility in
relation to Assistive Technology, which is well worth a read. It
prompted me to do a little testing..."
http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/?p=299

+08: USABILITY.

Is Your Website a Needy Child?
By Gerry McGovern.
"The public website or intranet that keeps screaming for attention with
useless images and vain content will get little from the impatient and
skeptical customer."
http://www.gerrymcgovern.com/nt/2009/nt-2009-06-08-needy-child.htm

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu