[webdev] Web Design Update: March 11, 2010

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Thu Mar 11 06:29:02 CST 2010

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 8, Issue 37, March 11, 2010.

03: COLOR.
06: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

Defining A Good Accessibility Statement
By John Rochford.
"This post lists the recommendations of eight Web articles I found that
opine about a good accessibility statement. I also found three that
advocate a site-help page be used instead.  All are referenced below..."
http://tinyurl.com/yhh2knj

Google's Smart Captioning Move
By Suzanne Robitaille.
"Ah, video and search. Frank Sinatra said it best: Try, try, try to
separate them - it's an illusion. Here's proof of that: Speech
Technology. This week, Google sealed the deal on video search
capabilities for its YouTube portal, saying it would provide
auto-captions for all of its uploaded videos using proprietary Google's
Speech Technology..."
http://tinyurl.com/ybb95ak

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Setting Rather Than Resetting Default Styling
By Thierry Koblentz.
"For a long time, the very first line in my styles sheets was: *
{padding:0;margin:0;}..."
http://tinyurl.com/y93ez4z

CSS3-Only Tabbed Area
By Chris Coyier.
"When you think of 'tabs', your mind might go right to JavaScript. Watch
for a click on a tab, hide all the panels, show the one corresponding to
tab just clicked on. All major JavaScript libraries tackle tabs in some
way. But there is a way to accomplish this same idea with 'pure CSS'.
Just as we did with the CSS Image Switcher, let's tackle this
traditionally JavaScript project with only CSS..."
http://css-tricks.com/css3-tabs/

Creating Beveled Images with CSS
By James Edwards.
"Recently, I wanted a simple CSS method for adding a beveled effect to
images. It's easy enough to create a sense of depth just with normal
outset borders (below left), but what I wanted is something that would
actually look like part of the image, as though it were a bevel on the
image itself..."
http://tinyurl.com/yle5th6

+03: COLOR.

Types of Color Blindness
By Daniel Fluck.
"In the first part of Color Blind Essentials we learned some
fundamentals about color vision deficiency like the history,
occurrences, causes, genetic inheritance patterns and more. With this
second chapter I want to explain you the different types color blind
people can suffer from..."
http://www.colblindor.com/2010/03/09/types-of-color-blindness/

+04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Do's and Don'ts of Usability Testing
By Demetrius Madrigal and Bryan McClain.
"Usability testing is one of the least glamorous, but most important
aspects of user experience research. Over the years, it has also been
one of the forms of user research we have performed most frequently. In
doing so, we've learned quite a few best practices and encountered some
potential pitfalls. We think it's important that we share what we've
learned with the many stakeholders, designers, and engineers who might
find this information helpful."
http://tinyurl.com/yexqhtc

Why You Only Need To Test With Five Users (Explained)
by Jeff Sauro.
"...The five user number comes from the number of users you would need
to detect approximately 85% of the problems in an interface, given that
the probability a user would encounter a problem is about 31%. Most
people either leave off the last part or are not sure what it means.
This does not apply to all testing situations such as comparing two
products or when trying to get a precise measure of task times or
completion rates but to discovering problems with an interface. Where
does 31% come from?  It was found as an average problem frequency from
several studies..."
http://www.measuringusability.com/five-users.php

+05: EVENTS.

MIX
March 15-17, 2010.
Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S.A.
http://live.visitmix.com/

Canadian Post-Secondary Web Conference
May 26-28, 2010.
Ontario, Canada.
http://pseweb.ca/

Fronteers 2010
October 7-8, 2010.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
http://fronteers.nl/congres/2010

+06: FLASH.

Creating an accessible animated presentation in Flash
By Thea Eaton.
"Since the publication of the animated presentation Creating Accessible
Sites in Flash for the Adobe Accessibility Resource Center, we've been
thrilled to see an overwhelming response from people requesting more
details about the presentation itself and how it was made. In this
article, I discuss some of the necessary steps to take when making a
SWF-based presentation accessible..."
http://tinyurl.com/y88dozr

Flash and Standards: The Cold War of the Web
By Daniel Mall.
"You've probably heard that Apple recently released the iPad. The
absence of Flash Player on the device seems to have awakened the HTML5
vs. Flash debate. Apparently, it's the final nail in the coffin for
Flash. Either that, or the HTML5 community is over hyping its still
nascent markup language update. The arguments run wide, strong, and
legitimate on both sides. Yet both sides might also be wrong.
Designer/developer Dan Mall is equally adept at web standards and Flash;
what matters, he says, isn't technology, but people."
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/flashstandards/

+07: JAVASCRIPT.

Crockford on JavaScript - Episode IV: The Metamorphosis of Ajax (93 min.)
By Eric Miraglia.
"Last week, Yahoo! JavaScript architect Douglas Crockford delivered the
fourth installment of his Crockford on JavaScript series..."
http://www.yuiblog.com/blog/2010/03/09/video-crockonjs-4/

+08: MISCELLANEOUS.

Interview: Paul Cotton on Microsoft Participation in the W3C HTML
Working Group
By Philippe Le Hegaret.
"First, let me thank you personally on becoming a co-chair of the W3C
HTML Working Group. I am very happy with Microsoft's commitment to the
HTML Working Group and to HTML 5. Microsoft is collaborating very
actively, and helping drive consensus around many HTML 5 proposals
related to Canvas, Accessibility and Extensibility..."
http://www.w3.org/QA/2010/03/interview_paul_cotton_on_micro.html

+09: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

Web Standards For E-Books
by Joe Clark.
"which did not replace cinema, which did not replace books. E-books
aren't going to replace books either. E-books are books, merely with a
different form..."
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/ebookstandards/

Everything You Need To Know About HTML5 Video And Audio
By Simon Pieters.
"...This article aims to provide all the nitty-gritty details of HTML5
media, the DOM API, events, and so forth, so you can implement your own
HTML5 player with fallback to old browsers...."
http://tinyurl.com/ykkra9c

Exploring HTML 5
By David Chisnall.
"David Chisnall continues his look at the new features of HTML 5 by
exploring some of the features that are useful beyond web applications..."
http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1561902

The i, b, em, and strong Elements
By Oli Studholme.
"While many HTML4 elements have been brought into HTML5 essentially
unchanged, several historically presentational ones have been given
semantic meanings..."
http://html5doctor.com/i-b-em-strong-element/

Latest HTML5 Working Draft Published Despite Claims of 'Sabotage'
By Scott M. Fulton.
"Should the next version of HTML, the Web standard that embodies how
pages are laid out and constructed, include explicit specifications for
inline, 2D dynamic graphics?..."
http://tinyurl.com/yd88lrl

+10: USABILITY.

Closeness of Actions and Objects in GUI Design
By Jakob Nielsen.
"Users overlook features if the GUI elements - such as buttons and
checkboxes - are too far away from the objects they act on."
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/action-object-closeness.html

Is Technology Becoming More Usable-or Less-and With What Consequences?
By Daryle Gardner-Bonneau.
"My name is Daryle Gardner-Bonneau. I am 56 years old, and technology
seems to have left me behind. I never thought I would be standing on the
wrong side of the digital divide, but this is where I seem to be, and I
appear to be moving ever further from the deepening chasm that divides
the 'savvy' from the 'unsavvy.'.."
http://tinyurl.com/ycmolkp

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu