[webdev] Web Design Update: February 25, 2011

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Sat Feb 26 03:58:52 CST 2011

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 9, Issue 35, February 25, 2011.

design and development.

04: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.
08: TYPOGRAPHY.

Accessible Video and Transcripts
By Adrian Roselli.
"With HTML5 on the horizon, it is becoming far easier to embed video
on a web page than it has been. Sure, you can drop some code copied
from YouTube, but you have little control over the HTML or the video
output. Once you do have your video, you also need to bear in mind
that not only are video (and audio) transcripts good practice, they
are required by law for many organizations..."
http://evolt.org/AccessibleVideo

Dickensian Disney: Not Down With the Kids
By Henny Swan.
"...So Disney, rather than exploit disabled characters in your films
such as Tiny Tim, the Hunchback of Notra Dame, Hook, Nemo, the 7
dwarfs and and many more) to make money why don't you actually
practice what you preach?"
http://www.iheni.com/dickensian-disney/

Mature Age ICT Users Online Survey Results
By Roger Hudson.
"During December 2010 and January 2011, we conducted an online survey
of information and communication technology (ICT) users over the age
of 60. We have completed the initial collating of these results and
they provide a snapshot of internet and mobile phone usage by those
older members of the population who are able and willing to
participate in an online survey. We are making the result of the
online Mature Age ICT Users survey available in an Excel file for
other researchers to download and use as they wish."
http://www.dingoaccess.com/accessibility/mature-age-ict-users-online-survey-results/

London Web Standards Presentation
By Leonie Watson.
"Screen readers come in many different forms, for most different
platforms, and with wildly different price tags. When it comes to the
web, most screen readers are more capable now than they've ever been.
The question is whether they're keeping pace with emerging
technologies like HTML5?..."
http://tink.co.uk/2011/02/london-web-standards-presentation/

Hiding Content for Accessibility
By Jonathan Snook.
"For years now, we've used a number of techniques for hiding content
offscreen for accessibility purposes. We do this because the content
is still accessible to screenreaders while being removed from the
interface for sighted users. An article over at Adaptive Themes
reviews a number of techniques for hiding content that were considered
for inclusion on a Drupal 7 project (but certainly applicable to any
project). Here is a summary of those techniques and the pitfalls of
each technique..."
http://snook.ca/archives/html_and_css/hiding-content-for-accessibility

+02: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Usability Testing Is Qualitative Only If You Can't Count
By Jon Innes.
"I've recently found myself in a lot of discussions over the value of
traditional user research methods. In particular, the value of that
staple of user research we know as the usability test and its
relevance in today's world of Google Analytics and A/B and
multivariate testing..."
http://www.uxmatters.com/mt/archives/2011/02/usability-testing-is-qualitative-only-if-you-cant-count.php

Are You Doing A/B Testing?
By Paul Boag.
"Its easy, its cheap and it could increase the conversion rate on your
website significantly. Why then are we not all doing A/B testing?"
http://boagworld.com/technology/are-you-doing-ab-testing/

Groups Are Swayed By a Dominant Personality
By Susan Weinschenk.
"...This is one reason why I am skeptical about focus groups for user
research (as opposed to one-on-one interviews or user testing)..."
http://www.whatmakesthemclick.net/2011/02/24/100-things-you-should-know-about-people-64-groups-are-swayed-by-a-dominant-personality/

+03: EVENTS.

Interlink Web Design Conference
June 2-4, 2011.
Vancouver, Canada
http://interlinkconference.com/

Internet Week
June 6-13, 2011.
New York, New York, U.S.A.
http://www.internetweekny.com/

Ampersand - The Web Typography Conference
June 17, 2011.
Brighton, United Kingdom
http://ampersandconf.com/

HOW Design Live