Portfolio Preparation and Presentation
This project will deal with creating a sample portfolio that can be mailed to prospective employers, either as a cold mailing or the portfolio was requested. The project will include a physical portfolio that shows examples of your design/tech work and a CD that will digitally present your portfolio. You will need to include your resume and a new cover letter with this project.
You should feel encouraged to use this project to apply for actual jobs. At the very least, your project will be sent to Todd Proffitt, the Production Manager for the The Chautauqua Theatre Company.
Mail Portfolio Guidelines
• Binder types - should be able to be mailed
• Return envelope and postage
• Return address
• Inside address
• List materials provided
• Reference to enclosures - what they may keep, what you'd like to be returned
Cover letter should include why you are sending your portfolio, your experience, what information you are showing in the portfolio, and that you are available to talk further about your work.
Portfolio contents includes:
• Design work, class work, photo documentation of produced educational and professional productions
• CD portfolio
• Production company
• Credit to other designers as necessary
• Brief comments: concept, technique or design approach
• Renderings, sketches, photos of models, draftings (reduced to fit format)
• Research materials
• Offer to leave this with the prospective employer. (Everything else you should ask to be returned.).
• Should be of a format that is self-executing, i.e. PowerPoint slide show, PDF, jpegs slides, etc.
• Should include brief comments: concept, technique or design approach
ASSISTANT COSTUME SHOP MANAGER/CUTTER-DRAPER - DeKalb, IL , US
Job posted on November 15, 2006
U/RTA program that offers BA, BFA and MFA degrees seeks Assistant Costume Shop Manager/Cutter-Draper for a nine-month appointment. Responsibilities: Create patterns, fit and alter costumes for 8 productions a year. Also draping, cutting, supervising stitchers and students, attending dress rehearsals; informal teaching of graduate and undergraduate students. Required: Baccalaureate degree and/or equivalent professional experience; good organizational skills; and demonstrated ability with draping, pattern making, cutting, costume construction based on knowledge of costume history. Send letter of interest, resume, and three current letters of recommendation and at least ten images of your work to: Assistant Costume Shop Manager Search, NORTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, School of Theatre and Dance, DeKalb, IL 60115. Preference will be given to complete applications received by February 15, 2007, however, applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply. AA/EEO Institution.
Go to www.tcg.org click on the ARTsearch link to the right.