You are here
Tasty Tidbits: Stoplight Salad Bar
Are you overwhelmed at all the salad toppings available, and how to make most nutrient dense salad? If, so here’s a guide to help navigate the salad bars at UMD.
Are all Salads Created Equal?
Stoplight Salad Bar Guide
A salad is often touted as the end all and be all of healthy eating. But, depending on what is on that salad it could have more calories and fat than you think! Here’s a guide to help navigate the salad bar at Superior Dining or Freshworks.
Green: Unlimited- pile these salad items as high as you would like!
- Vegetables: Carrots, broccoli, cucumber, tomato
- Fresh Fruits
- Balsamic Vinegar
Yellow: Use proper portion size
- Cheese shredded: ¼ cup
- Croutons: 6 croutons
- Hard boiled Egg (1/3 Cup)
- Meat or Fish; Chicken 4 oz (size of palm of hand)
- Cottage cheese (1/2 cup)
- Oil-based dressing – 2 tbsp
- Hummus: 2 Tbsp- golf ball size
- Sunflower seeds- 2 Tbsp
- High in Folate, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Vit E, Zinc, and B6
Red: Limit, Enjoy These Foods in Moderation
- Mayo salads (potato salad, coleslaw, pasta salad)
- Bacon Bits
- Cream based dressing
- High Fat Meats: pepperoni, sausage
So the next time you are at a salad bar, or making one at home, focus on the green-light vegetables, fruits, and legumes and be mindful of all the extras that get added on.
Alyssa Hammitt, MPH, RD, LD