Mentor teachers' content knowledge and pedagogical expertise is vital to UMD teacher candidates. The partnership between UMD and the school / program is critical in the development of future teachers. Mentor teachers have tremendous influence on teacher candidates in practicum, apprentice and student teacher placements. Hopefully, the relationship developed with the teacher candidate will be a mutually rewarding experience.
The teacher candidate in the classroom will be in one of the following licensure programs. Each program has different practicum / apprenticeship requirements. Student teachers in each program have different placement time frames. See the links below for program details.
Integrated Elementary Special Education (IESE) IESE Student Teaching Handbook
Secondary K-12 Education (STEP) STEP Student Teaching Handbook
Unified Early Childhood Education (UECH) UECH Student Teaching Handbook
Mentor Teacher Requirements
1. Mentor teachers should allow teacher candidate to take part in all aspects of the classroom. Teacher candidates should plan, teach and assess lessons, become competent in classroom management and begin to understand the school / program as a professional community.
2. Complete the UMD Web In-Service Training for Mentor Teachers
3. Mentor teachers need to complete evaluation forms for all teacher candidates. Practicum and apprentice students will bring the evaluations to their mentor teacher. Student teaching evaluations are the same for all programs.
Student Teaching Mid-Point Evaluation Form
Student Teaching FINAL Evaluation Form
4. edTPA is required for all teacher candidates and requires video taping in the classroom.
5.Mentor teachers can choose to write a letter of recommendation for the teacher candidate.
5. Contact the UMD Field Experience Office with all questions or concerns
James Sersha, Director of the Office of Field Experiences, International and Integrated Elementary Special Education Placement Coordinator 218-726-7483
Beth Ruark, Secondary and Early Childhood Placement Coordinator 218-726-6682
Tracy Hansen, Executive Administrative Specialist 218-726-8627