Department of Electrical Engineering
271 Marshall W. Alworth Hall
1023 University Dr.
University of Minnesota Duluth
Duluth, MN 55812
Phone: (218) 726-6147
Fax: (218) 726-7267
The Electrical Engineering B.S.E.E. program combines traditional electrical engineering topics with current computer design and analysis topics. The program is concerned with the theory, design, and application of electrical phenomena and digital computers, including electronic circuits, signal analysis, system design, and computer architecture. The department displays strengths in such diverse areas as electronics, signal processing, electromagnetics, digital computer systems, communications, and controls. Individual faculty members specialize in areas such as VLSI design, microprocessor systems, image processing, robust control, solid state devices, optoelectronics, nanostructures, robotics, instrumentation, neural networks, and fuzzy logic. The program balances theoretical and practical experience in electrical and computer engineering through analysis, synthesis, and experimentation, using facilities that include major instructional laboratories and research laboratories.
The Mission of the Department of Electrical Engineering is to provide high quality education for students through a program that offers challenging hands-on laboratory and design components in conjunction with a thorough foundation in theory, and to equipt students with the skills to be life-long contributors to their profession and society.
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES
Consistent with the mission of the University, the Duluth campus, and the College, the educational objectives of the Electrical Engineering program are to produce graduates who will ...
- Develop a productive career. [Public service, teaching and learning, career foundation mission]
- Advance knowledge in their field through technical innovations and research. [Research mission]
- Integrate the imparted ethical foundation, creative purpose, and technical knowledge into responsible citizenship. [Teaching and learning, liberal education mission]
- Contribute to the well-being of their community. [Public service, teaching and learning mission]
- Pursue life-long learning. [Teaching and learning, research mission]