Storage space will not be provided for departmental equipment "no
longer in use." Storage in public spaces, mechanical rooms, tunnels,
etc., are code violations and are not options for storage. Items left
in these area will be removed and become the property of Property Accounting.
IMPORTANT: Nancy Damberg in Property Accounting (6966)
must be notified of all transfers, sales, trade-ins, donations or disposal
of all items, with or without a University Inventory Number, and whether
or not they are functional. She will coordinate all disposal activities
with Facilities Management.
Electronic and Other Equipment Disposal
Most electronic equipment contains circuit boards, mercury switches,
relays, and tubes which are manufactured with materials considered to
be hazardous, and cannot be disposed of in the general trash. The
following equipment has been identified for priority attention:
- Computers and peripherals
- Televisions and videos monitors
- Electronic equipment laboratory and test equipment
- Copy machines
- Stereos and components
- Telephones and telefacsimiles (FAX) machines
- Video cassette recorders
Complete Electronics List
General Equipment and Furnishing Disposal
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Require
Disposal Options for Departments:
Departments should recycle their useable items by using the following
methods BEFORE requesting trash disposal, listed in order of preference:
- Recycle...Facilities Management Recycling
- Require... the trade-in or removal of old equipment by vendors as a condition
of purchasing new equipment.
- Reuse...contact the UMD Computer Corner for information about their next computer
- Reuse... by donating the items to non-profit organizations or offer them for sale
outside of the University to employees and/or the public. Contact Nancy
Damberg in Property Accounting (6966) for procedures.
- Reduce...Disposal should be the option of last resort.
- Contact Property Accounting (6966) to indicated you have
equipment needing permanent disposal.
- Items containing hazardous materials
will be collected, boxed, and shipped to a University approved reclamation
- A CUFS budget number will be required with each disposal request and may be used depending
on the scope of work and disposal costs involved. Estimates may be requested.
Batteries and Special Wastes:
Environmental Health & Safety directions for battery disposal.