You are here
Family and Medical Leave Act - (FMLA) Leaves
On the University of Minnesota Duluth campus, FMLA leaves are administered centrally, through the UMD Department of Human Resources & Equal Opportunity.
FMLA Covered Events
Eligible faculty and staff are able to use up to a total of 12 weeks of leave in any fiscal year with proper medical or other documentation for the following types of absences:
- An employee's own serious health condition
- The serious health condition of an employee's immediate family member
- Caring for a newborn or newly-placed adopted child or foster child
- Qualifying exigency arising out of an employee's immediate family member's active duty status (Eligible faculty and staff who are immediate family members or next of kin of covered servicemembers are able to use up to a total of 26 weeks of leave during a single 12-month period to care for the servicemember with a serious illness or injury incurred in the line of duty)
- University of Minnesota FMLA Policy
- Paid Medical Leave and Disability Benefits for Faculty and Academic Professional and Administrative Employees
- Parental Leave for Academic Employees
- Employee Work-Life and Personal Leaves
Employee Responsibilities Requesting FMLA Leave:
• Must give their department and UMD Department of Human Resources and Equal Opportunity at least 30 days notice of the leave, whenever possible.
• Must attempt to schedule a foreseeable leave so as not to unduly disrupt the department's operation.
• Must, in the case of an unexpected medical leave need, make a request as soon as practical.
• Must obtain any required birth, adoption/foster care, or medical certification to support any FMLA leave.
Instructions For Supervisors and Departmental Liaisons:
1. Promptly notify UMD Department of Human Resources & Equal Opportunity (UMD HR&EO) of the need for FMLA leave, if the employee has not done so already (or if you are unsure whether the employee has done so). UMD HR&EO will send out the required paperwork.
2. For non-academic employees - Complete the CSLR Personnel Action Form (PAF) (PDF). Instructions can be found on the second page of the document. This document must be completed by the supervisor or departmental liaison noting that the leave is an FMLA covered leave. The PAF document should be sent to UMD HR&EO, 255 DAdB.
For academic employees: Complete the Academic Personnel Action Form (PAF) (PDF) This document must be completed by the supervisor or departmental liaison, noting that the leave is an FMLA covered leave. After obtaining the required approvals, the PAF document should be sent to the UMD HR&EO, 255 DAdB, for entry.
3. Complete the Family and Medical Leave Record. Up to twelve (12) weeks paid/unpaid time is covered under the FMLA every fiscal year for FMLA leaves (except for military caregiver leave, which allows up to 26 weeks in a 12 month period).
For intermittent FMLA, it will be necessary to provide the FMLA Coordinator with the total time taken at the end of the leave.
Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or to begin the leave process.