Header and Footer Example
University of Minnesota
Travel Awards
turtle sampling

**Click for Per Diem & Travel Policy Information

The IBS graduate program can provide travel awards (up to $500 per graduate student) to help defray expenses for IBS students to attend regional, national, or international meetings. Masters students are eligible to apply for a one-time award and doctoral students are eligible to apply for the award twice (not more than once per academic year). See Eligibility below for complete requirements.

Travel supported by these awards include:

  • Travel to conferences, where the student presents his or her research
  • Travel to unique educational opportunities
  • Travel to regional, national, or international conferences, meetings, and seminars

Eligibility (must meet all criteria)

To be eligible for a Travel Award:

  • Applicants must be active IBS degree-seeking students enrolled in the Ph.D. or Master's degree program conferred by the graduate school.
  • Applicants must in good standing with their department at the time of their application.
  • Travel must occur between July 1 and June 30.
  • Purely local travel is typically not be supported.
  • Typically, a student must travel at least 90 minutes from his or her home or campus, and must stay over at least one night at the destination.

How to Apply for Funding

  • Download and complete IBS Travel Award Request Form.
  • Download and complete the SCSE Student Travel Request Form.
  • Download and complete the UMD Graduate School Travel Request Form.
  • All applications must include a signed letter from the applicant's advisor or DGS affirming that the travel is related the student's degree program
  • For conference travel, the letter should affirm that the student will be presenting his or her work at the conference, perhaps via a presentation or poster.
  • For education travel, the letter should affirm that the travel is required by the student's research.
  • Applications and all supporting documents (except possibly for the letter from the student's advisor or DGS), must be submitted together in a single email sent to ibs@d.umn.edu
  • Please include "Travel Award" in the subject of the e-mail.
  • The advisor's or DGS' letter may be e-mailed separately, either as an e-mail from the advisor or DGS, or as a signed, scanned letter.
  • Incomplete applications will be returned.

How to Request a Reimbursement

Contact ibs@d.umn.edu with any questions you have.

Graduate School Fellowships and Funding Opportunities

Graduate fellowships, awards based on academic merit, are available to new and currently enrolled graduate students at the University of Minnesota. The Graduate School Fellowship Office administers University-wide fellowships. Applications may be obtained from the Fellowship Office or may be filled out online, printed out, and sent to the Fellowship Office by the designated deadline. The Fellowship Office also administers the National Science Foundation program and the Fulbright program.

Website: http://www.grad.umn.edu/fellowships/

Council of Graduate Students Travel Awards

COGS makes Travel Awards and Leadership Awards to deserving University of Minnesota graduate students. Travel Awards help defray the expense of traveling to conferences, to research sites or to take advantage of unique educational opportunities. Leadership Awards recognize outstanding leadership and service on behalf of graduate students, the University, and the broader community.

Website: http://www.cogs.umn.edu/awards.html

© 2017 University of Minnesota Duluth
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Last modified on 08/28/13 03:33 PM
University of Minnesota Campuses
Crookston | Duluth | Morris
Rochester | Twin Cities | Other Locations