joel hoffman, adjunct assistant PROFESSOR
B.S., 1999, Resource
Ecology and Management, University of Michigan
B.A., 1999, Philosophy,
University of Michigan
Ph.D., 2006, Marine
Science, The College of William and Mary, Virginia Institute of Marine Science
Office: EPA Mid-Continent Ecology Division, A201
EPA web site: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Joel_Hoffman2
Broadly, I am interested in how human-caused changes to the environment influence aquatic ecosystem processes, aquatic habitat, and fish population success. My research is focused on coastal and estuarine fishes because they are of economic and social importance and because their habitat is highly vulnerable to anthropogenic impacts. I believe my research should support development of a workable practice of sustainable, ecosystem-based management.
My areas of expertise including using natural tracers, particularly stable isotopes, to study aquatic food web dynamics and fish movements; developing tools and designs for coastal ecosystem condition and biodiversity assessment; and using hydroacoustics to study fisheries and fish habitat.
Currently, my research is focused on two areas Ð ecosystem services (particularly as they relate to fisheries) of coastal ecosystem restoration and aquatic invasive species early detection.
- IBS 8201 Ecological Processes
Current Graduate Students
- Michelle Gutsch, PhD Student
- Hannah Ramage, MS Student
Past Graduate Students
- Ester Dias, PhD Student (University of Porto, Portugal)
- Elon O’Malia, MS Student
- Hoffman, J.C., J. Schloesser, A.S. Trebitz, G. Peterson, M. Gutsch, H. Quinlan, and J.R. Kelly. In press. Sampling design for early detection of aquatic invasive species in Great Lakes ports. Fisheries.
- Hoffman, J.C. In press. Tracing origin, migration and other movements of fish using stable isotopes, Chapter X, pp. X-X In: Morais, P., and Daverat, F. (eds.), An Introduction to Fish Migration, CRC Press.
- Hoffman, J.C., M.E. Sierszen, and A.M. Cotter. 2015. Fish tissue lipid-C:N relationships for correcting ?13C values and estimating lipid content in aquatic food web studies. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 29:2069-2077. DOI: 10.1002/rcm.7367
- Trebitz, A.S., J.C. Hoffman, G. Grant, T. Billehus, and E.M. Pilgrim. 2015. Potential for DNA-based identification of Great Lakes aquatic fauna: match and mismatch between organism inventories and DNA barcode libraries. Scientific Reports 5:12162. DOI: 10.1038/srep12162
- Hoffman, J.C., J.R. Kelly, G.S. Peterson, and A.M. Cotter. 2015. Landscape-scale food webs of fish nursery habitat along a river-coast mixing zone. Estuaries and Coasts 38(4):1335-1349. DOI 10.1007/s12237-014-9880-8
- Trebitz, A.S., and J.C. Hoffman. 2015. Coastal wetland support of Great Lakes fisheries: progress from concept to quantification. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 144(2): 352-372, DOI: 10.1080/00028487.2014.982257
- Sierszen. M.E., T.R. Hrabik, J.D. Stockwell, A.M. Cotter, J.C. Hoffman, and D.L. Yule. 2014. Depth gradients in food-web processes linking habitats in large lakes: Lake Superior as an exemplar ecosystem. Freshwater Biology. 59:2122-2136. DOI: 10.1111/fwb.12415
- Dias, E., P. Morais, C. Antunes, and J.C. Hoffman. 2014. Linking terrestrial and benthic estuarine ecosystems: organic matter sources supporting the high secondary production of a non-indigenous bivalve. Biological Invasions. 16:2163-2179. DOI: 10.1007/s10530-014-0655-8
- Blazer, V.S., J.C. Hoffman, H.L. Walsh, R.P. Braham, C. Hahn, P. Collins, Z. Jorgenson, and T. Ledder. 2014. Health of white sucker within the St. Louis River Area of Concern associated with habitat usage as assessed using stable isotopes. Ecotoxicology 23:236-251. DOI: 10.1007/s10646-013-1167-5
- Negus, M.T., and J.C. Hoffman. 2013. Habitat and diet differentiation by two strains of rainbow trout in Lake Superior based on archival tags, stable isotopes, and bioenergetics. Journal of Great Lakes Research 39:578-590. DOI: 10.1016/j.jglr.2013.09.012
- Choy, C.A., P.C. Davison, J.C. Drazen, A. Flynn, E.J. Gier, J.C. Hoffman, J. McClain, T.O. Miller, B.N. Popp, S. Ross, and T. Sutton. 2012. Global trophic position comparison of two dominant mesopelagic fish families (Myctophidae, Stomiidae) using amino acid nitrogen isotopic analyses. PLoS ONE 7(11): e50133. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0050133
- Hoffman, J.C., J.R. Kelly, G.S. Peterson, A.M. Cotter, M. Starry, and M.E. Sierszen. 2012. Using d15N in fish as an indicator of watershed sources of anthropogenic nitrogen: response at multiple spatial scales. Estuaries and Coasts. 35(6):1453-1467. DOI: 10.1007/s12237-012-9534-7
- Sierszen, M.E., J.A. Morrice, A.S. Trebitz, and J.C. Hoffman. 2012. A review of selected ecosystem services provided by coastal wetlands of the Laurentian Great Lakes. Aquatic Ecosystem Health and Management 15(1):92Ð106.
- Hoffman, J.C., A.M. Cotter, G.S. Peterson, T.D. Corry, and J.R. Kelly. 2011. Rapid stable isotope turnover of larval fish in a Lake Superior coastal wetland: implications for diet and life history studies. Aquatic Ecosystem Health and Management 14(4):403-413.
- Hoffman, J.C., J.R. Kelly , A.S. Trebitz , G.S. Peterson, and C.W. West. 2011. Effort and potential efficiencies for aquatic non-native species early detection. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 68:2064-2079.
- Peterson, G.S., J.C. Hoffman, A.S. Trebitz, C.W. West, and J.R. Kelly. 2011. Establishment patterns of non-native fishes: lessons from the Duluth-Superior harbor and lower St. Louis River, an invasion-prone Great Lakes coastal ecosystem. Journal of Great Lakes Research 37:349-358.
- Trebitz, A.S., C.W. West, J.C. Hoffman, J.R. Kelly, G.S. Peterson, and I.A. Grigorovich. 2010. Status of non-indigenous benthic invertebrates in the Duluth-Superior Harbor and the role of sampling methods in their detection. Journal of Great Lakes Research 36:747-756.
- Hoffman, J.C., A.M. Cotter, G.S. Peterson, and J.R. Kelly. 2010. Using stable isotope mixing in a Great Lakes coastal tributary to determine food web linkages in young fishes. Estuaries and Coasts. 33(6):1391-1405. DOI: 10.1007/s12237-010-9295-0
- Hoffman, J.C., and T. Sutton. 2010. Lipid correction for carbon stable isotope analysis of deep-sea fishes. Deep-Sea Research Part I 57:956-964. DOI: 10.1016/j.dsr.2010.05.003