Accomplishments for 2009-2010
Improve Classroom and Learning Technology
- Applied learning-space theory to improve learning spaces, including
classrooms, computer laboratories, informal spaces, and online environments.
- Expanded next-generation classroom technology, including classroom control
systems. Installed classroom control systems in all general-purpose classrooms,
all ITSS computer labs, and requested departmental spaces.
- Supported standard student response system technology in campus classrooms,
serving 3767 students in 65 classes.
- Provided high-definition digital video, wide-aspect projection,
and improved sound systems in selected classrooms and computer labs.
- Oversaw classroom infrastructure for building and reconstruction projects:
Chester Park, EduE Building and
Civil Engineering Building.
- Piloted lecture-capture technology with interested faculty.
- Completed video recording project
for Communication Sciences and Disorders.
- Assisted faculty with technology for teaching, learning, and research.
Offered Tech Camp 13 in January 2010.
- Participated in system-wide planning for the future of course management
Improve Student Services
- Supported collegiate laptop initiatives.
- Participated in Bulldog Welcome Week by providing workshops as well
as support for student computers and networking.
- Worked with UMD Housing to survey students and develop a plan for improving
technology in Housing by dropping telephone service and adding wireless
network. Began implementation with UMD apartments.
- Continued to provide information sessions at freshman orientation and
- Provided Gateway limited warranty repair service for students after Gateway
- Established iTunes U services and YouTube site for UMD.
- Facilitated the Student Association Course Guide Contest.
- Prepared for conversion to Windows 7 in ITSS student labs by providing
hardware upgrades, software compatibility, imaging and distribution testing,
and Active Directory transition.
- Distributed hand sanitizer and provided daily cleaning of public computing
equipment during the pandemic flu outbreak.
Improve Services and Support for Customers
- Improved customer service by implementing the RT system for billing,
measures, and reporting.
- Supported replacement and/or enhancement of several departmental computing
applications, including CSD, FM, CEHSP, Food Service, Cashiers,
and Health Services.
- Assisted customers to convert from Mulberry to more modern email clients.
- Provided specialized training for faculty in response to the pandemic
- Responded to 26,755 calls to the Help Desk.
- Resolved 11,860 trouble
- Improved physical layout and processes of the ITSS TechCenter.
- Completed installation of universal instructor podiums in all ITSS full-access
- Provided technical and service support for computer labs or equipment
in Disability Services, Library, AILRC, CLA, LSBE, Athletics, SFA, and
the Tutoring Center.
- Provided network access and technology services for the Tall Ships event
at Bayfront Park.
- Began ITSS web site redesign and developed a TechCenter presence on Facebook.
Improve Fiscal Management
- Revised our rates for FY2011 based on ISO principles and regulations.
- Completed business planning, process design, programming, and testing
of billing ITSS external customers through EFS in compliance with University
- Implemented departmental process to better report 5 W's for all transactions
to comply with University policy.
- Prepared and entered the FY11 budget incorporating the new position budgeting
Improve Computer, Network, and Physical Security
- Led initiative to improve campus computer and network security.
- Combated viruses, worms, scams, and other security threats.
- Expanded the number of video surveillance systems on campus.
- Worked with campus units to consolidate servers into secure server rooms.
- Completed an inventory of all campus servers.
- Responded to a major change in the vulnerability scan process for server,
which now requires local management and monthly scans.
- Provided support for building automation systems used by Facilities Management.
- Improved authorization and authentication systems for computer systems
- Expanded use of campus firewall to protect eight subnets that require
additional security, such as credit-card networks.
- Completed biannual review of credit-card workstations.
- Exercised and updated operational continuity plan.
- Converted emergency alert system to new vendor.
- Responded to over 2800 security risk notifications.
Improve Campus Infrastructure
- Maintained high availability, scalability, service continuity, security,
and data integrity of network and system infrastructure.
- Extended capability for 100 Mbit data to the desktop to 33 campus buildings.
- Established capability for gigabit data to the building in 41 campus
- Completed conversion to Convict system for recording and managing network
- Upgraded the telephone PBX and voice-mail system.
- Provided 'N' style radios for significant improvement in wireless connectivity.
- Oversaw telecommunications infrastructure for building and reconstruction
projects: the EduE Building, the Civil Engineering Building, Glensheen,
Bagley Classroom Building, Darland, and WDSE.
- Continued to upgrade computer systems using clustering and mirroring
techniques to provide maximum up-time. Expand the use of virtual server
technology to improve efficiency and reduce costs.
- Completed a redundant core for the network backbone and developed redundancy
in network feeds to campus buildings.
- Established 10-gigabit communications in the primary data center.
- Developed email and authentication infrastructure to support the conversion
- Collaborated with regional groups to plan middle-mile broadband expansion
using federal stimulus funds.
Improve Working Environment for ITSS Staff
- Continually reviewed and revised ITSS staff handbook. Regularly
reviewed all ITSS policies.
- Revised policies for overtime, premium pay, and vacation reporting.
- Occupied final block of offices in Kirby Plaza first floor.
- Redesigned TechCenter computer
repair work space.
- Improved social opportunities and built community within the ITSS staff.
- Encouraged staff training and professional development.
- Provided a working environment for staff that encourages them to remain
employed at ITSS.
- Continued to emphasize importance of a healthy and safe working environment
- Provided orientation, training, a student handbook, and other resources
for student employees.
Participate in Campus Life
- Guided and enhanced the use of technology across the UMD community.
- Maintained strong collaboration and coordination between IT staff within
UMD units, ITSS, and UM System technology units.
- Met and coordinated activities with our campus partners.
- Contributed to campus governance and activities by serving on committees,
task forces, commissions, etc.
- Determined the future of Active Directory at UMD and began implementation.
- Planned and tested Google Apps solutions for the UMD campus.
- Reviewed the IT landscape for useful emerging technologies.
- Investigated shared software distribution methods for student-owned computers.
- Improved support for mobile computing.
- Increased data storage and developed services and pricing for large storage