Managed Drupal Service at UMD
Drupal Migration Planning Guide
Planning to migrate your existing site into Drupal? Here are a few things you'll need to do before scheduling the move.
1 - Review your current web site and plan for your Drupal site
- Create a Purpose Statement
- Who is your audience?
- What are their information needs?
- Complete a Content Inventory / Information Architecture review
- What content do we have? How is it structured?
- What content is missing? Who can provide it?
- What content can be eliminated? Updated?
- Establish an approval process and maintenance plan for your site:
- Who will be responsible for creating new content?
- Who will be responsible for approving new content before it is published?
- Who will be responsible for periodically reviewing content for needed changes?
2 - Determine who will build and maintain your Drupal site
- Select a Site Developer: The Site Developer builds the Drupal site (pages) using established Drupal themes in the UMN infrastucture and manages the site's groups and user permissions. This person should have high-level web development knowledge. NOTE: If you will be hiring an outside vendor to build your Drupal site, please contact ITSS for additional information before the vendor begins work on your site.
- Select Content Providers: Content Providers add or update content in a Drupal site that is already established. This role is similar to those who currently use Contribute to update web sites.
3 - Request a Drupal site and consultation
Once you have completed your site review and staff training, you are ready to request a Drupal site and consultation with ITSS and University Marketing and Public Relations staff.
Rev: 09.18.15 sab