Web Design References
Web Design Glossary: G
- Gantt Chart
- A Gantt chart is a representation of a schedule of
activities or milestones over time. It is useful in
- GIF is an abbreviation for Graphics Interchange Format.
It suited for flat color images and drawings. CompuServ
created the format.
- Global Navigation
Consult Primary Navigation.
- An image for a character in a particular font and
- Graceful Degradation
- Graceful degradation is a web design strategy. When you
put in features designed to take advantage of the latest
features of newer browsers, you should do it in a way that
older browsers and other user agents can disable those
particular features and still access the basic content and
functionality of the web site. It is the opposite of
progressive enhancement. For more information consult
- Granularity is the extent to which a larger piece of
information has been broken down into smaller units.
- Greek Text
- Greek text is dummy text that is inserted into a web page
to illustrate the position of the actual text on a page
- Abbreviation for "Graphical User Interface". It is
- Guidelines and Checklists
- Guidelines and checklists help ensure that usability
principles will be considered in a design. Usually,
checklists are used in conjunction with a usability
inspection method: the checklist gives inspectors a basis
by which to compare the product. Usability.gov has a good set
Based Web Design and Usability Guidelines.