VPN Service: Virtual Private Network
VPN (Virtual Private Network) lets you make a secure connection to a University computer from an off-campus, non-UMD connection (for example, cable or DSL modem). When you use UMD's VPN service, it makes your computer appear as though it is directly attached to UMDNet, and provides the same security and access to restricted resources that you have while on campus.
Who should use VPN?
You should consider using the VPN if one of the following is true:
- You are connecting to the University through an untrusted or unencrypted wireless network (UMD-Wireless, wifi hotspots, etc.) and will be transmitting sensitive data.
- You need to access restricted resources from outside the University network (such as Library journals or restricted systems).
- You need to access a private internal network from outside the University network.
You do not need to use VPN:
- To access your UMD email.
- If you are just browsing the web.
Please use the AnyConnect client for all operating systems (including 64-bit OS). iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod) users follow this link for instructions on downloading and installing the client. All others may download and install the VPN client on your computer following these steps:
- Open a web browser and browse to: https://vpn.d.umn.edu
- Sign in with your University Internet ID and password.
- The VPN server should detect the operating system for your computer and automatically install the latest client to your computer. You may be prompted to install/allow Active X controls.
- Once installed, it will then automatically make a connection to the VPN server as well.
NOTE: If the automatic install fails, a link will be displayed for the appropriate client for your operating system - select the link to manually download and install the VPN client. Or, you can try downloading and installing with a different web browser.
If you are on a Mac and are having trouble with the automatic installer, please download the standalone installer. (10.8+ users may need to set Gatekeeper to temporarily allow applications downloaded from anywhere to install.) Once installed, you will need to type vpn.d.umn.edu into the "Connect to" or host field.
- Make sure your computer is connected to the Internet. (If you have cable or DLS modem access, you're usually connected as soon as you turn your computer on. If you have traditional modem access, dial-up to your ISP.)
- Select the "Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client"
- Windows computers: Under "Programs - Cisco"
- Macintosh computers: Under "Applications - Cisco"
- Enter your Username (University Internet ID) and Password and select "Connect."
- When you're done, select "Disconnect" to close the VPN connection.
Rev: 7.13 alj