You are here

You have options.

There are a number of reporting options available to a victim/survivor of sexual misconduct. Contact information for the options listed below may be found here, or by clicking on the Related Links to the left.

Retaliation against an individual for having made a report of sexual misconduct is prohibited and may result in disciplinary action. Reports of retaliation will be reviewed and investigated in the same manner in which other allegations of misconduct are handled.

Law Enforcement

  • To notify law enforcement, call 911.
  • To get help in notifying law enforcement, contact the Women's Resource and Action Center (WRAC) or the Program to Aid Victims of Sexual Assault (PAVSA).
What happens if I report to law enforcement?
You can expect that the officer you talk to will:
- meet with you privately or at place of your chosing to make a report
- not release your name to the public or press (crime statistics and incidents are public
record, but identifying information is withheld
- provide information on available options (to include assistance with accommodations)
- not judge you, and you will not blamed for what occurred
- treat you and your particular case with courtesy, sensitivity, dignity, understanding, and professionalism
- do their best to accommodate your request and preference for a male or female officer
- assist you in receiving hospital, medical, counseling, and other support services even if you choose not to pursue criminal charges
- fully investigate your case and will help you to achieve the best outcome (this may involve the arrest and full prosecution of the suspect and you will be kept informed of the progress of the investigation and/or prosecution)
- consider your case seriously, regardless of your gender and sexual orientation, and regardless of the gender and sexual orientation of the suspect(s)

Confidential Reporting Options

  • UMD WRAC is available to students.
  • UMD Counseling is available to students.
  • Clergy members of the UMD Council of Religious Advisors are available to students.
  • The Employee Assistance Program is available to UMD employees.
  • PAVSA is an off-campus resource available to students, faculty, and staff.
What happens if I report to a confidential resource?
You can expect that the person you talk to will:
-listen to your story and validate your experiences
-provide information on available options (to include assistance with accommodations)
-advocate on your behalf
-make referrals to other agencies or offices (with your permission)

Non-Confidential Reporting Options

  • The UMD Office of Student Conduct receives reports of sexual misconduct students involving students. Reports may be made in person (245 Kirby Plaza) or online.
  • The UMD Office of Human Resources & Equal Opportunity receives reports of sexual misconduct involving employees. Reports may be made in person (255 Darland Administration Building) or online.
  • Both the Student Conduct and Human Resources & Equal Opportunity online reporting forms provide the ability to report anonymously.
  • Reports may also be made to any University employee. Under the University of Minnesota Administrative Policy: Sexual Harassment, Sexual Assault, Stalking and Relationship Violence (Section II), all employees (with the exception of those that are confidential employees, as listed above) are obligated to share reports of sexual misconduct with either the Office of Student Conduct or the Office of Human Resources and Equal Opportunity.
  • UMD Responsible Employees also may receive reports of sexual misconduct. For more information about UMD's Responsible Employees, click here.
What happens if I report to a non-confidential resource?
You can expect that the person you talk to in Student Conduct or Human Resources and Equal Opportunity will:
-encourage you to contact WRAC or PAVSA (or another victim/survivor services provider), and offer to contact them on your behalf
-assist you in finding the services you need (counseling, medical care, legal assistance, visa and immigration assistance, student financial aid, and other services)
-assist you by arranging for accommodations and protective measures
-residence modifications
-academic modifications
-work schedule modifications for on-campus employment
-student activities modifications
-transportation modifications
-encourage you to report the incident to the police, and assist you in making the report if requested
-conduct a prompt, fair, and impartial investigation
-make appropriate referrals to the appropriate disciplinary process