Tweed Museum of Art, University of Minnesota Duluth, functions as an art collecting and teaching institution that promotes learning through collection stewardship, research, and by presentations in the visual arts for the engagement program of the University and surrounding communities.
With a permanent collection of over 11,000 art objects representing a range of cultures and periods of art history, the Tweed Museum of Art on the campus of the University of Minnesota Duluth is a major cultural and educational resource for the Upper Midwest.
In the 1920s and early 1930s, George P. Tweed and his wife Alice began collecting 19th and early 20th century European and American painting, including examples of the French Barbizon School and Impressionist influenced American Landscape painting. After the death of Mr. Tweed in 1946, Mrs. Tweed saw the potential of the Tweed Collection as an educational resource for the community and the University. She generously developed the funding for the present building which was dedicated in 1958.
The original house of the Tweeds where they started to show their collection with private guests.
The 1958 inauguration of the Tweed at UMD.
HOURS AND CONTACT
Museum and Store Hours:
Saturday and Sunday: 1:00pm–5:00pm
Closed Mondays and University Holidays. In case of Inclement weather, the University may close the campus as a safety measure, so the Tweed Museum of Art will be closed. Otherwise, the Museum is open and will hold its programs as planned.
Tweed Museum of Art
University of Minnesota Duluth Campus
1201 Ordean Court
Duluth, MN 55812-2496
Info: 218-726-8222 or 218-726-6552
Museum Store: 218-726-6139
Beginning July 1, 2017, the Tweed Museum will no longer be accepting unsolicited submissions of artwork or exhibition proposals.
Ken Bloom, Director
Camille Doran, Registrar
Yana Stockman, Office Assistant
Christine Strom, Events Planning & Communications Specialist
Karissa White, Associate Curator
Melissa King, Executive Office & Admin Specialist
Scott Stevens, Lead Guard
Steve Johnson, Guard
Greg Tiburzi, Guard
Tweed Museum of Art Advisory Board
Alice B. O’Connor, Emeritus Board Member
Dee Dee Widdes