You are here
What You Can Do
What You Can Do
Working together, we can all foster a safer climate on and near campus. As individuals, please observe these tips to help ensure your personal safety and security.
Safety tips when walking or running
- At night, walk with a friend whenever possible. If you have no one to walk with, call the safewalk program at 218-726-6100.
- Avoid shortcuts. Take well-traveled and well-lit walkways.
- Be alert and aware of the people and environment around you. Don’t walk with earbuds in and music on. Avoid using your mobile phone while walking. These distractions make you an easier target.
- Use good judgment if a stranger asks to borrow your mobile phone.
- Ensure your mobile phone has location services activated. If it's stolen, this will help police attempt to recover it. iPhone users need to install the Find My iPhone app for this purpose. Similar apps for Android and other operating systems are also available.
- Carry minimal amounts of valuables.
- Trust your instincts. If someone makes you uncomfortable, even in daylight, do what is necessary to move away.
- If you feel that someone is following you, go immediately to a nearby location where there are more people.
Safety tips when driving and parking
- Keep your vehicle locked at all times when it is parked and when you are driving it. Keep the windows rolled up high enough so that an intruder cannot reach inside.
- When you return to your vehicle, look around it and inside it before you get in.
- Keep your vehicle well maintained. Make sure you have enough gasoline to reach your destination.
- If you will be returning to your vehicle at night, park in a place that will be well lit when you return. Or call Safewalk at 218-726-6100 for an escort.
- If your vehicle breaks down, remain inside with the doors locked. If anyone stops to help, ask them to call a tow truck or the police for you.
- Never pick up hitchhikers. This is extremely dangerous.
- Keep valuables (laptops, purses, wallets, briefcases, etc.) out of sight. Lock bags and packages in the car's trunk. (Never leave valuables unattended anywhere.)
Safety tips when biking
- Always lock your bike and use only a U-Style lock. Bike theft is one of the most common and preventable campus crimes.
- Watch for turning cars.
- Stay off sidewalks.
- Don't run red lights.
- Wear a helmet and use a light.
- Learn the rules of the road.
Safety tips for bus riders
- Wait for the bus a safe distance back from the road.
- Do not step into the roadway until the bus has stopped and the door has opened.
- Cross in front of a bus at least 10 feet ahead so the driver can see you.