Hiring Manual for Civil Service/Represented & Non-Represented Positions
A Civil Service Employee - (Posted/TNP/Temp & Casual)
Hiring Process Flow Chart
Hiring Manual Table of Contents
Lita C. Wallace
UMD Background Checks and Verifications
UMD Student Background Checks
The August 2013 University of Minnesota requirement of background checks for new employees excludes student positions. Accordingly, undergraduate and graduate students will not be required to undergo background checks unless they are working (as employee or volunteer) in areas where it is required legally or contractually, required by the unit, involves work with minors under the Safety of Minors policy, or has been identified by UMD HR&EO as requiring a background check based on duties performed.
UMD has identified the following student classifications to require a background check:
- UMD Student Clinical and Field Placements: Background verifications are required of these students, including practicum and student teaching. The verification is designed to meet State school district guidelines governing adults with responsibility for children. UMD students who are assigned to a clinical/field placement must have a background check completed and on file with the UMD HR&EO. For applicable field placement forms and more information, see UMD Student Clinical and Field Placements.
- Job Code 2711-2713: Business and Finance: (all have 3 levels, entry, intermediate and advanced). At the entry level duties include: reconciling accounts, calculating department charges, basic pay-roll functions
- Job Code 2721-2723: Information Technology: At the entry level, duties include minor equipment repairs, providing group computer users with technical and procedural info, working with web pages and entry level computer programming. At the advanced level, duties may include developing computer networks, analyzing computer reports
- Job Code 2731-2733: Restaurant & Food Service: Reading and adjusting receipts, filling vending machines - handling cash, register tapes and inventory sheets
- Job Code 2751-2753: Health and Social Science: May perform routine duties in a medical, clinical or dental setting, transporting patients to and from lab tests, assist in performing routine exams, delivering patient exams results to various locations
- Job Code 2761-2763: Law and Safety
- Job Code 2771-2773: Student Support Services: Access to student records
- Job Code 2781-2783: Clerical and Administrative Support: Dependent upon duties
- Job Code 2791-2793: Labor and Custodial
- Job Code 2801-2803: Recreation & Fitness: At entry level, duties include assisting coaches, equipment managers, trainers and athletes, officiating games; enforcement of policies, rules, and regulations, first aid administration; rescuing, resuscitation
- Job Code 9515: Graduate Instructor: Graduate Instructors are the instructor of record for an entire course, and work under the supervision of faculty or academic staff
The following student job codes should have a background check if warranted:
- Job Code 9522: Undergraduate Research Assistant I
- Job Code 9523: Undergraduate Research Assistant II
- Job Code 9512: Undergraduate Teaching Assistant I
- Job Code 9513: Undergraduate Teaching Assistant II
For student field placements and student positions working in programs with minors, background checks are valid for three (3) years.
For all other student positions, background checks are valid for as long as the student is enrolled as a student at UMD. If/when a student transfers into a position working in programs with minors or otherwise requiring it, a background check would need to be completed. If the original background check with satisfactory results was completed within the previous 12 months prior to the transfer, another background check would not need to be conducted. If it was completed more than 12 months, a background check would be required for the transfer.
If you are uncertain whether a certain event or situation would require a background check, contact HR&EO.