University of Minnesota Duluth
MyU | Search | People | Departments | Events | News

 Department of Human Resources & Equal Opportunity

Workers' Comp

Workers' Compensation

Workers’ compensation is a mandatory insurance program provided by the University of Minnesota that provides for payment of medical expenses and lost wages for employees who suffer work-related injuries or illness. This system may also provide permanent disability benefits for those who qualify. Minnesota state law regulates which benefits are due to an injured employee. The University pays the full cost of the workers’ compensation program and contracts with Sedgwick Claims Management Services (SCMS) to administer the claims.


It’s important that supervisors are notified right away when an employee is injured during work.  Early reporting will allow the University and Sedgwick to communicate with the employee about additional resources as needed.   

First Report of Injury Form - (Electronic Form, preferred)
First Report of Injury Form - (PDF fillable version)
Supervisor's Incident Investigation Report - (PDF fillable version)
Temporary Prescription Drug ID Card - (PDF fillable version)

UMD Workers' Compensation Procedure in Reporting and Managing Claims Presentation - (PPT)      

Minnesota Workers' Compensation System Employee Information Sheet
Frequently Asked Questions

Bodily Injury/ Property Damage Report - (PDF fillable version)
Bio-Hazard-Related Injury - (HMTL: Environmental Health and Safety Office)  

University Policies:
University of Minnesota Administrative Policy in Reporting Workers' Compensation Related Injuries

UMD Workers’ Compensation Procedure on Reporting and Management

Reporting a Workers' Compensation Injury

Employee Responsibilities

  • Immediately
    • Notify your supervisor. Your supervisor will assess the situation, assist with arranging proper medical care, and begin the injury reporting process.
  • Promptly cooperate with your supervisor for the completion of all relevant documents.

Supervisor Responsibilities

Referring the Employee for Medical Care:

When an injury requires medical attention, the University encourages the use of our Designated Medical Providers because these providers specialize in occupational medicine and are familiar with our Workers’ Compensation process. Under Minnesota law, an injured employee has the right to select his/her own treating physician. At times, the employee may be required to see a provider selected by the University.

Express Scripts administers the Prescription Drug Program for the University of Minnesota's Workers’ Compensation program. The Prescription Drug Program will eliminate co-pays and out-of pocket expenses for medications prescribed for an accepted Workers’ Compensation claim.

Employees who experience an aggravation or re-injury of a previous work-related injury also should be directed for medical treatment.

Forward all medical bills to the Claims Administrator for payment.

Returning the Employee to Work:

The Medical Provider must complete a Report of Workability (1) and give it to the employee and Human Resources & Equal Opportunity. The Report of Workability will indicate when the employee can return to work and whether job modifications are required to accommodate physical restrictions. The employee will provide a copy of the Report of Workability to the UMD Worker’s Compensation Coordinator, who will update the supervisor with the employee’s work status.

  • Employees without restrictions can return to their usual work duties.

  • If the Medical Provider imposes work restrictions, the supervisor and Claims Administrator will review the job modifications that are required to comply with the restrictions. Every effort will be made to accommodate the employee's restrictions. If work is available within the restrictions, the employee will return to suitably modified work. The supervisor will monitor the employee's recovery on a weekly basis and report the employee's recovery progress to the Claims Administrator. It is also recommended that employee and/or department work with the Coordinator of the UMD UReturn Program.

Payroll Issues Concerning Work-related Accidents

There are two (2) ways an employee can choose to get paid when losing time from work for a work-related injury:

  1. The employee gets paid nothing from the U of M.  The employee does not have to use sick or vacation.  Sedgwick Claims Management Services, Inc. (Sedgwick, the insurance company) pays two-thirds of the employee's salary when his/her claim is approved.  The employee is not overpaid.

  1. The employee gets paid one-third of their salary from the U of M.  The employee uses sick or vacation leave for that one-third.  Sedgwick pays the employee two-thirds of his/her salary when the claim is approved.  The employee is not overpaid.

Please discuss with your department/unit payroll contact about which payroll option you want to select regarding pay for any lost time from work due to your injury.

UReturn - Finding Your Way Back to Work

UReturn is an integrated disability services program designed to assist and support all University faculty and staff who experience an illness or injury, both work-related or non work-related.

UReturn obtains and confidentially maintains medical documents, certifies eligibility for services, recommends adjustments or reasonable accommodations, and develops plans for the provision of these for employees with illness or injury. As a neutral party, a UReturn specialist assists employees and their supervisors in implementing appropriate accommodations/adjustments.

UReturn provides:

  • Trained professionals who are available to help employees return to work quickly and safely.

  • Coordination of the details of an employee's successful return to work.

  • Support, such as job analysis, ergonomic consultation, and if appropriate, accommodations.

  • Confidentiality while working with medical providers to identify options to return to work.

  • On-going contact with the University through recovery and return to work.

UReturn work with employees and supervisors to ensure that medical conditions - both occupational and nonoccupational - are evaluated so that employees can return to work quickly and safely.

If you think you have a medical condition or disability that is affecting your job, please contact Nancy Erickson for a confidential consultation. More information about the UReturn Program can be found here.

Nancy Erickson
University of Minnesota Disability Resource Center
Suite 170 McNamara Alumni Center
200 Oak Street S.E. Minneapolis MN 55455
Office: 612-624-3505
Fax: 612-625-5572

Designated Medical Providers


An employee may choose to receive treatment from a Designated Medical Provider, or another provider. UMD’s Designated Medical Providers are:    

  • Staffed by physicians who are trained in occupational medicine.

  • Conveniently located close to our campuses.

  • Committed to seeing injured employees within 24 hours.

  • Accustomed to the way the University handles claims, minimizing problems with paperwork and billings you may encounter elsewhere.

For a full list of designated medical providers, please click here.

Minor Injuries

UMD Health Services
615 Niagara Court
Duluth, Minnesota 55812-3065

After hours, on weekends or holidays

Essentia Health St. Mary's Medical Center/Emergency Care and Trauma Center
407 East Third Street
Duluth, Minnesota 55805

St. Luke's Hospital
915 East First Street
Duluth, Minnesota 55805

Contact information:

University of Minnesota Duluth
Department of Human Resources and Equal Opportunity
255 Darland Administration Building
1049 University Drive
Duluth MN 55812
Fax: 218-726-7505

Sedgwick Claims Management Services
P. O. Box 46999
11000 Prairie Lakes Drive, Suite 400
Eden Prairie, MN 55344
FAX 952-826-3889

University of Minnesota
Office of Risk Management and Insurance
208 West Bank Office Building
1300 South Second Street
Minneapolis MN 55454
Phone: 612-624-5884
Fax: 612-625-7384

University of Minnesota
Disability Resource Center
180 McNamara Alumni Center
200 Oak Street SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
612-626-1333 (V/TTY)
612-626-9654 (FAX)

Minnesota Department of Labor & Industry
443 Lafayette Road N.,
St. Paul, MN 55155
Phone: (651) 284-5005
Toll Free: 1-800-DIAL-DLI / (1-800-342-5354)


© 2017 University of Minnesota Duluth
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Last modified on 12/07/16 01:15 PM
University of Minnesota Campuses
Crookston | Duluth | Morris
Rochester | Twin Cities | Other Locations