You are here
“The work presented in Aisthesis is your own concept, your voice, your unique ideas laced with the contributions of others.”
Welcome to Aisthesis
Established in 2008, Aisthesis is an interdisciplinary honors journal published annually by the University Honors program at University of Minnesota Duluth. Our goal is to create and share a compilation of compelling scholarship completed by students in University honors programs nationwide. We define scholarship broadly to include original research in any academic field of inquiry, creative expression projects or accomplishments, integration of old ideas in novel ways, or application of knowledge in new areas. We welcome submissions that broaden our understanding of any academic issue, challenge us to see the world from another perspective, inspire us to pursue new lines of inquiry, or challenge traditional discipline and genre boundaries.
Aisthesis is a journal for and by undergraduate honors students. In UMD's University Honors Advanced Writing course, the student editorial board plans and executes each phase of the publishing process. Production of the journal occurs within the context of the course. Submissions are blind peer-reviewed by other honors students, and feedback from discipline-specific faculty members is considered to make final decisions on publication.
What’s in it for you?
- Fortify your resume
- Strengthen your graduate school application
- Set yourself apart with unique publishing experience
- Contribute to your field
What’s in it for us at Aisthesis?
Our goal at Aisthesis is to create and share an honors-focused compilation of compelling scholarly and creative works. We seek submissions that broaden our understanding of an issue, challenge us to see the world from another perspective, and inspire us to pursue new lines of inquiry.
- Authors must be undergraduate honors students enrolled in a university-level honors program/college. Work submitted by recent honors alumni will also be considered.
- Previously published work will not be reviewed by the Aisthesis committee. Simultaneous submissions are welcome; however, if your work has been accepted elsewhere, please withdraw your submission by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- At maximum, each author can submit up to (1) academic submission and (1) creative submission per year to Aisthesis. If you are submitting one of each, please submit them separately through the website.
Genres: As an interdisciplinary publication, we welcome academic work, including honors capstone projects, literature reviews, and research articles, from all fields of research. Creative submissions of nonfiction, fiction, poetry, visual art, short films, media, and photography are also encouraged from any undergraduate student enrolled in a university honors program. In addition, works that challenge traditional discipline and genre boundaries are welcome.
Word Count: Less than 5000 words for all genres. If you are submitting poetry, please submit no more than five poems.
Submission deadline: March 21, 2019
Acceptable Submission Formats:
- Text: Word documents or plain-text files
- Multimedia: .mp4 files (preferred)
- Image: .png or .jpg files
For submission instructions, please visit our website at https://pubs.lib.umn.edu/index.php/aisthesis/submissionguidelines