[webdev] Web Design Update: December 23, 2008

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Tue Dec 23 15:39:33 CST 2008

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 7, Issue 26, December 23, 2008.

03: DREAMWEAVER.
06: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.
11: TOOLS.
12: TYPOGRAPHY.
13: USABILITY.
14: XML.

Live Radio Captioning for the Deaf
By Claude Almansi.
"Making radio accessible for deaf and hard of hearing persons is not
commonly perceived as a priority..."
http://tinyurl.com/9ofg7p

New Guidelines Boost Web Access
By Geoff Adams-Spink.
"The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) has announced a new standard to
make sites more accessible to older and disabled people..."

WCAG Theme Song Update
By David MacDonald.
The video is awesome.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2008OctDec/0064.html

Web 2.0 Accessibility Recap for 2008 and a look to 2009
By Rich Schwerdtfeger.
http://tinyurl.com/586a4u

State of the Accessible Web 2008
By Henny Swan.
"It feels like we have hit a critical time in web accessibility and for
me 2008 has been a year that has clearly demonstrated a shift in focus
away from advocacy towards action and with it brought a new generation
of web accessibility developers. As we enter 2009 and the ten year
anniversary of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) I
thought it worth taking a look back before moving forward..."
http://www.iheni.com/state-of-the-accessible-web-2008/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Absolute Columns
By Dan Rubin.
"CSS layouts have come quite a long way since the dark ages of web
publishing, with all sorts of creative applications of floats, negative
margins, and even background images employed in order to give us that
most basic building block, the column. As the title implies, we are
indeed going to be discussing columns today???more to the point, a
handy little application of absolute positioning that may be exactly
what you've been looking for..."
http://24ways.org/2008/absolute-columns

Form Design, Layout, and Presentation with CSS
By Ben Henick.
"he HTML forms article introduced you to the basics of form creation
and styling. This article carries on where that left off, providing
more details about form elements and styles, and how forms are included
in real-world Web application designs."
http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/34-styling-forms/

+03: DREAMWEAVER.

Unobtrusive JavaScript in Dreamweaver CS4
By Andrew Tetlaw.
"A copy of the recently released Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 appeared at
SitePoint HQ recently (check out Kevin's review in Issue #218), so I
thought I'd take it for a test drive and see what it has to offer the
modern JavaScripter..."
http://tinyurl.com/7ggq8n

+04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Quick Turnaround Usability Testing, Part II
By Paul Nuschke.
"In Part I, I discussed how to make the first three steps of Quick
Turnaround Usability Testing (QTUT)-Sales and Kickoff, Recruitment, and
Preparation-as short and efficient as possible. In Part II, I discuss
the final two steps: Testing and Analysis and Reporting..."
http://www.boxesandarrows.com/view/quick-turnaround12

+05: EVENTS.

OZeWAI (Australian Web Adability Initiative)
January 21-23 2009.
Bundoora, Victoria, Australia
http://www.ozewai.org/2009/index.html

MinneWebCon
April 6, 2009.
Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
http://www.minnewebcon.umn.edu/

UIE Web App Summit 2009
April 19-22, 2009.
Newport Beach, California, U.S.A.
http://www.uie.com/events/web_app_summit/2009/

Eighteenth International World Wide Web Conference
Madrid, Spain
April 20-24, 2009.
http://www.www2009.org/

2nd World Summit on the Knowledge Society
16-18 September, 2009.
Crete, Greece
http://www.open-knowledge-society.org/summit.htm

+06: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

Web Analytics and Information Architecture
By Hallie Wilfert.
"Information Architects always want to know how easy our site is to use
and how often it is used by the audiences we target. For the most part,
few people ask for our data on usability or user experience but we
regularly receive this kind of request from other parts of the
business, 'I need to know how many hits the website has received this
year and how that compares to our competitors?'..."
http://web.fumsi.com/go/article/manage/3460

+07: JAVASCRIPT.

Ajax Performance (video)
By Douglas Crockford.
"Douglas Crockford returns to YUI Theater with another chapter in his
evolving lecture series. This session, “Ajax Performance,” debunks
common misconceptions about the relationship between JavaScript and
performance and gives engineers a core focus for improving the
performance of web apps: Reduce the value of n. Because DOM
interactions are generally slow, leveraging Ajax to reduce the number
of DOM operations, Douglas argues, is often the most important
optimization you can make. In fact, it usually dwarfs other techniques
in terms of its impact on the actual experience of using a website."
http://yuiblog.com/blog/2008/12/23/video-crockford-performance/

Ajax and Accessibility, Part One
By Alastair Campbell.
"Developing a Rich Internet Application (RIA) that's accessible has
historically been somewhere between difficult and a nightmare, even
with seemingly common technologies such as HTML/CSS and JavaScript..."
http://www.netmag.co.uk/zine/home/ajax-and-accessibility-part-one

+08: MISCELLANEOUS.

Understanding Web Design, Live on Video
By Jeffrey Zeldman.
"Now available on streaming video, Jeffrey Zeldman: Understanding Web
Design - is a good quality 42:40 capture of my October 25, 2008
presentation at Gain: AIGA Business and Design Conference..."
http://www.aiga.org/content.cfm/video-gain-2008-zeldman

5 Inspiring Web Design Conference Speeches you Shouldn't Have Missed in
2008
By Chris Spooner.
"Web design conferences are fantastic for keeping up to date with the
industry changes and for gaining useful advice from big name
contributors. Unfortunately with there being conferences held around
the world from Brighton to New York and beyond visiting just one (never
mind all of them!) can be a challenge. Thankfully, some of the design
conference organizers embrace the social aspect of the modern web and
provide videos of the conference sets online, here are my top five web
design conference speeches for 2008..."
http://tinyurl.com/6jlcrq

+09: PHP.

Less Whining, More Coding
By Elizabeth Smith.
"How many times have you heard or seen someone griping about PHP? Maybe
the documentation was wrong, or they couldn't figure out how to install
it, or maybe they just didn't like the way something worked. You see
whining everywhere: forums, blog posts, mailing lists, even on Twitter!
Well let me tell you what to do about the problem.,,"
http://phpadvent.org/2008/less-whining-more-coding-by-elizabeth-smith

PHP Is Not Java
By Luke Welling.
"Java has its place. Maybe it has many places. I'm OK with it being on
your phone, in your refrigerator, and on my bank's web site. I'm even
OK with it making another play to be in browser applets. However, I'd
really prefer if you kept it out of my PHP. I am seeing more and more
PHP written as though it was Java with dollar signs. I think this is
misguided..."
http://phpadvent.org/2008/php-is-not-java-by-luke-welling

Practice Safe Idempotent Methods
By Ben Ramsey.
"All web developers should be familiar with the GET and POST methods.
These are the primary methods used in everyday development on the Web.
Even if you know nothing about HTTP, you've at least seen form examples
using either get or post as the value of the method attribute. All too
often, though, I find that those who build web applications know far
too little about the protocol that powers the Web: HTTP. I think all
web developers should have at least a rudimentary understanding of the
technology that earns their bacon..."
http://phpadvent.org/2008/practice-safe-idempotent-methods-by-ben-ramsey

What Time Is It?
By Derick Rethans.
"As of PHP 5.1, PHP has advanced date/time support, so you can finally
write code that doesn't have to deal with timestamps and time zone
abbreviations such as PST and CEST. Before I explain how to avoid these
annoyances, let me explain why timestamps and time zone abbreviations
suck..."
http://phpadvent.org/2008/what-time-is-it-by-derick-rethans

+10: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

Web Standards Pragmatism Presentation
By Patrick H. Lauke.
"Check out the slides, audio and transcript of my talk on web standards
pragmatism: from validation to the real world, presented at the web
developers conference, Bristol, 12 November 2008."
http://www.splintered.co.uk/news/109

5 Exciting Things to Look Forward to in HTML 5
By Jacob Gube.
"HTML 5 is the upcoming major revision of the HyperText Markup Language
(HTML), the main method of marking up content for sharing on the World
Wide Web. HTML's development stopped at HTML 4.01 in 1999, and since
then web content has evolved so much that current HTML specifications
are inadequate for today's requirements. HTML 5 aims to improve HTML's
interoperability and address the growing demand for more diverse and
complex web content. It also addresses HTML 4's lacking features for
web applications. In this post, we'll look at 5 exciting new features
in HTML 5..."
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/5_exciting_things_in_html_5.php

+11: TOOLS.

WAT Q/A Extension
By Cedric Trevisan.
Free extension for web accessibility testing.

+12: TYPOGRAPHY.

The 100 Percent Easy-2-Read Standard
By Oliver Reichenstein.
"Most websites are crammed with small text that's a pain to read. Why?
There is no reason for squeezing so much information onto the screen.
It's just a stupid collective mistake that dates back to a time when
screens were really, really small..."
http://informationarchitects.jp/100e2r/

+13: USABILITY.

Nicole Sullivan Video: Design Fast Websites (Don't Blame the Rounded
Corners)
By Eric Miraglia.
"...Nicole visited Yahoo last week to do an encore of her 'Design Fast
Websites' talk in which she outlines a set of practical guidelines for
building websites that are supremely fast and visually rich. Her advice
is to know your craft, to engage your designers, and to make sure that
your collaboration with designers works intelligently in the service of
users..."
http://yuiblog.com/blog/2008/12/23/video-sullivan/

Top Task Performance Heavily Influences Branding
By Gerry McGovern.
"If a customer cannot complete their top tasks quickly and easily on
your website, why would they trust you to help them with  other tasks?"
http://tinyurl.com/8l9keo

+14: XML.

HTML 5 vs. XHTML 2: An Article Roundup and Poll
By Chris Coyier.
"...HTML5 will be the future of the web, so my advice would be to pay
close attention to it."
http://css-tricks.com/html-5-vs-xhtml-2-an-article-roundup-and-poll/

HTML vs. XHTML: Why HTML Wins
By Jens Meiert.
"...The only decisive factor seems to be performance. And that means an
easy choice: Just use HTML 4 or, at least 'formally', HTML 5..."
http://meiert.com/en/blog/20081219/html-vs-xhtml/

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu