[webdev] Web Design Update: December 30, 2008

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Tue Dec 30 15:30:21 CST 2008

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 7, Issue 27, December 30, 2008.

02: COLOR.
09: TOOLS.
10: TYPOGRAPHY.
11: USABILITY.
12: XML.

Relationship Between Mobile Web Best Practices (MWBP) and Web Content
Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
By Alan Chuter and Yeliz Yesilada, Editors.
"This technical report describes the relationships, overlaps and
differences between the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and
the Mobile Web Best Practices (MWBP). Introductory information can be
found in Web Content Accessibility and Mobile Web: Making a Web Site
Accessible Both for People with Disabilities and for Mobile Devices..."
http://www.w3.org/TR/mwbp-wcag/

Designers Challenged to Include Disabled
By Mike Steere.
"Don Norman, design Professor at Northwestern University in Illinois,
and the author of 'The Design of Future Things,' is issuing a challenge
to designers and engineers across the world: Create things that work
for everyone..."
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/10/30/design.approaches/index.html

More Online Captioned Videos and iTunes
By Jamie Sommers.
"It's hard to find captioned or subtitled videos online..."
http://meryl.net/ci/2008/12/more_online_cap.html

+02: COLOR.

Tools If You Are (Not) Colorblind
By Daniel Fluck.
"This is an overview of available software and websites which either
help and assist you if you are suffering from color blindness (Visolve,
Daltap, eyePilot) or tools that can show you how the world looks like
for colorblind persons. Next to that, programs are indicated that can
recognize color and can show the name and/or code (e.g. RGB)..."
http://www.colblindor.com/2008/12/23/15-tools-color-blindness/

+03: EVENTS.

Assistive Technology Industry Association Conference
January 28-31, 2009.
Orlando, Florida, U.S.A.
http://www.atia.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3280

Creating and Repurposing More Accessible Content
January 5, May 4, or September 7, 2009.
Online Course.
http://www.easi.cc/workshops/text.htm

Barrier-free Information Technology
January 5, May 4, or September 7, 2009.
Online Course.
http://www.easi.cc/workshops/adaptit.htm

Barrier-free Web Design
February 2, June 1, or October 5, 2009.
Online Course.
http://www.easi.cc/workshops/easiweb.htm

Future of Web Apps (FOWA)
Feburary 23-24, 2009.
Miami, Florida, U.S.A.
http://events.carsonified.com/fowa/2009/miami/

Future of Web Apps (FOWA)
March 6, 2009.
Dublin, Ireland.
http://events.carsonified.com/fowa/2009/dublin

Delivering Innovative Intranets
March 12, 2009.
London, United Kingdom.
http://www.jboye.co.uk/events/master-class-with-james-robertson/

+04: JAVASCRIPT.

WAI-ARIA 1.0 User Agent Implementation Guide
By Aaron Leventhal and Michael Cooper, Editors.
"This document is part of the WAI-ARIA suite described in the ARIA
Overview."
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria-implementation/

+05: MISCELLANEOUS.

What's On Tap: Predictions for 2009
By Josh Catone.
"It's that time of the year again. As we noted earlier in the week,
nothing is more fun for tech bloggers than looking ahead to next year
and trying to predict the future. Prediction posts are an annual
tradition in the blogosphere, and we enjoy doing them."
http://tinyurl.com/9ub257

+06: NAVIGATION.

More on Breadcrumbs as a Design Cop-Out
By Jared Spool.
"...As I've said before, I'm not suggesting that designers stop
implementing them. I'm just trying to prevent the knee-jerk reaction of
always including them under some misguided notion that they always
improve the site..."
http://tinyurl.com/9r4sry

+07: PHP.

On Internationalization
By Nate Abele.
"...Internationalization, whether for an event or a web application,
takes effort. But, with a little planning, it's not so bad. Before
diving in, let's cover some terminology..."
http://phpadvent.org/2008/on-internationalization-by-nate-abele

+08: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

The HTML Standards Process Grinds On
By Dana Blankenhorn.
"Standards seem to work similarly. Just the cover of the
standards-writing document for HTML5 is daunting. Is this code or
another O.J. trial? (Rimshot.)"
http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=3234
Comments:
http://talkback.zdnet.com/5206-10535-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=55865

A National Direction for International Standards
By Rick Jelliffe.
"...Most governments have established agencies for open-source
promotion, however in my view they need to be much more comprehensive
in their business: the need to be positively encourage open research,
open development, open source, and open standards. (They need to be
encourage free variants of the same as well, if we take Stallman's
'free' as a platform not just a political stance.) It needs to be much
bigger than just "How do finesse this monopoly in a positive
direction?" or "How do we reduce software costs?" though they certainly
may be inputs. It may involve re-aligning the goals and benchmarking of
academics, researchers, bureaucrats and industry to reward openness
more..."
http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2008/12/a-national-direction-for-inter.html

+09: TOOLS.

CSS SuperScrub
By isnoop.net.
Reduces the size and complexity of your CSS by "programmatically
stripping unneeded content, stripping redundant calls, and
intelligently grouping the remaining element names".
http://isnoop.net/tools/css.php

Operator
By Michael Kaply.
Operator is an extension for Firefox that adds the ability to interact
with semantic data on web pages, including microformats, RDFa and eRDF.
http://www.kaply.com/weblog/operator/

+10: TYPOGRAPHY.

Typechart - Browse Web Type, Grab CSS
"Typechart lets you flip through, preview and compare web typography
while retrieving the CSS."
http://www.typechart.com/

+11: USABILITY.

11 Expert Tips For Enhancing The User Login Process
By Gary Barber.
"...if the login process itself is delivering a poor experience, then
people will be reluctant to use it, and all of those killer features
you added will be in vain. In the worst case, it could be discouraging
people from logging back into the site at all, which means no
community, no repeat sales - all of this adds up to a failed site..."
http://tinyurl.com/8jopyj

+12: XML.

Proposed Elements and Element Reform for XHTML2
By Gregory J. Rosmaita.
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/xhtml2/wiki/ProposedElements

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu