The Alworth Institute's Sixth WorldQuest International Trivia Competition was held on February 27th, 2014. The evening was educational and FUN! Twenty-two teams competed with members drawn from UMD students, staff and faculty, the University of Wisconsin Superior, and, for the first time, the College of St. Scholastica. The UMD University for Seniors had two teams as did the UMD Honors Program. There were also many individuals from the area community competing on teams.
Information about WorldQuest - WorldQuest is a quiz game that is played in teams of eight. Each team must include at least two undergraduate students. Teams compete against one another on subjects with an international flavor: flags and capitals; geographical features and international borders; people and events in the news. There are a few questions targeted to a featured country; in 2014 this was Mexico! The game is played over the course of an evening that includes dinner, snacks, and a slew of door prizes. First, second and third place teams, as well as the teams with the Best Team Spirit and Best Costumes are awarded special prizes.Next year's event is scheduled for Thursday, February 26, 2015, and will include an additional first place winner amongst teams that have five or more students.
For more information or to register a team contact the Alworth Institute.
Check out photos the WorldQuest 2014 Competition, including those of the winning teams!
- The First Place Winners of WorldQuest 2014 - "MMBC & Associates" led by team captain, Dr. Denny Falk, UMD Professor of Social Work. This is their 3rd win at UMD's Worldquest. A donation was made to "Kiva", a global micro-financing organization, on the team's behalf.
- In Second Place for 2014 - "La Pachamama" (World Mother), a team led by Alworth Institute Board members, Michael Mullins and Matt Thibodeau (some group members not pictures). Their donation will go to the "Carmen Pampa Fund" which finances the Unidad Académica Campesina, a rural college in Bolivia.
- The Third Place Winners for the second year in a row - The UMD University for Seniors team, "Grays Under Pressure". Their donation goes to "Doctors without Borders".
- Best Costume went to the "Ole Ole Ole" tem which included the Dean of the UMD College of Liberal Arts, Sue Maher (on the left).
- "Acht Kleinen Blumen", the team sponsord by UMD's Baeumler-Kaplan Holocaust Commemoration Committee, won Best Team Spirit. They might even have beat out the previously unbeaten "Snow Leopards" for this title. We'll never know for sure - the "Snow Leopards" were a no show in 2014 - they all graduated.
- University of Wisconsin team, "Hot Tamales", were very close to winning the Team Spirit Award. The multi-colored mustaches were great!
- Earth balloons cover the ceiling mirrors in the UMD Ballroom.
The Alworth Institute would like to thank the following financial and prize donors for their door prize donations to WorldQuest 2013 (*multi-year donors):
Additional Sponsor: The Royal D. Alworth, Jr. Institute for International Studies Advisory Board
AFSCME Local 3801*
A.H. Zeppa Family Foundation*
Aztecas Mexican Grill
Brewhouse Brewery & Grill*
Buffalo Wild Wings*
Chester Creek Cafe*
Duluth League of Women Voters*
Duluth Superior Symphony Orchestra*
Erbert & Gerbert's - Arrowhead Road*
Grand Casino Hinkley Grandma's Restaurants*
Grizzly's Wood Fired Grill - Canal Park
Holiday Inn & Suites
La Peinado - Lisa Russ*
McDonald's - London Road
Noodles & Company
New Scenic Cafe*
Northern Waters Smokehaus Outback Steakhouse
Perkins - Miller Hill Pickwick Restaurant & Pub
Refugee Empowerment Project*
Residence Inn Marriott
Taco John's - Miller Hill Mall
Taco John's - Superior
Taco John's - West Duluth
Uncle Loui's Cafe
UMD College of Liberal Arts*
UMD Greenhouse - Deb Shubat*
UMD Kirby Program Board*
UMD School of Fine Arts*
UMD Tweed Museum of Art*
UWS Jacket Book & Supply*
Valentini's Vicino Lago*
Whole Fooods Co-op*