The Alworth Institute will host its 9th WorldQuest International Trivia contest on Thursday, February 25, 2016 in the UMD Kirby Student Center Ballroom. WorldQuest is an educational quiz game that is played in teams of eight. Teams compete against one another on subjects with an international flavor: flags and capitals; geographical features and international borders; people and events in the news. There will be a few questions targeted around the featured country, South Korea! The game is played over the course of an evening that includes a dinner featuring South Korean food, snacks, and a slew of door prizes. First, second and third place teams, as well as the teams with the Best Team Spirit and Best Costumes will be awarded special prizes. There is also a first place prize for the highest scoring team consisting of all students.
for more information on the game and to register a team please contact tthe Alworth Institue at 218-726-7753 or at email@example.com.
Check out photos from the WorldQuest 2014 Competition, including those of the winning teams!
- The First Place Winners of WorldQuest 2014 - "MMBC & Associates" led by team captain, Dr. Denny Falk, UMD Professor of Social Work. This is their 3rd win at UMD's Worldquest. A donation was made to "Kiva", a global micro-financing organization, on the team's behalf.
- In Second Place for 2014 - "La Pachamama" (World Mother), a team led by Alworth Institute Board members, Michael Mullins and Matt Thibodeau (some group members not pictures). Their donation will go to the "Carmen Pampa Fund" which finances the Unidad Académica Campesina, a rural college in Bolivia.
- The Third Place Winners for the second year in a row - The UMD University for Seniors team, "Grays Under Pressure". Their donation goes to "Doctors without Borders".
- Best Costume went to the "Ole Ole Ole" tem which included the Dean of the UMD College of Liberal Arts, Sue Maher (on the left).
- "Acht Kleinen Blumen", the team sponsord by UMD's Baeumler-Kaplan Holocaust Commemoration Committee, won Best Team Spirit. They might even have beat out the previously unbeaten "Snow Leopards" for this title. We'll never know for sure - the "Snow Leopards" were a no show in 2014 - they all graduated.
- University of Wisconsin team, "Hot Tamales", were very close to winning the Team Spirit Award. The multi-colored mustaches were great!
- Earth balloons cover the ceiling mirrors in the UMD Ballroom.
The Alworth Institute would like to thank the following financial and prize donors for their door prize donations to WorldQuest 2015 (*multi-year donors):
Corporate Sponsors: Monaco Air* US Bank*
AFSCME Local 3801*
Buffalo Wild Wings*
Chester Creek Cafe*
Duluth Superior Symphony Orchestra*
Erbert & Gerbert's - Arrowhead Road*
Fitger’s Brewhouse Brewery & Grill*
Grizzly's Wood Fired Grill - Miller Hill*
Holiday Inn & Suites*
McDonald's - London Road*
New Scenic Cafe*
Noodles & Company*
Northern Waters Smokehaus*
Perkins - Miller Hill*
Pickwick Restaurant & Pub*
Refugee Empowerment Project*
Residence Inn Marriott*
Taco John's - Central Entrance*
UMD College of Liberal Arts*
UMD Greenhouse - Deb Shubat*
UMD Kirby Program Board*
UMD School of Fine Arts*
UMD Tweed Museum of Art*
Whole Foods Co-op*
Zeitgeist Center for Arts & Community*