Alworth Institute News
You can listen to broadcasts of some of the Alworth Institute International Lectures on KUMD. Click here to find a list of podcasts of past lectures.
United Nations Day at UMD
The UMD community recently tested their knowledge of the United Nations on U.N. Day (October 24, 2014)
See how much you know about the United Nations by answering the following questions (answer key is located at the bottom of this web page):
1. At which of the following conferences was the United Nations Charter adopted?
a. The Yalta Conference
b. The San Francisco Conference
c. The Dumbarton Oaks Conference
2. The first session of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) was held on:
a. December 5, 1945
b. February 3, 1946
c. January 17, 1946
d. March 21, 1946
3. Which Secretary General died during the course of his mandate?
a. Trygve Lie
b. U Thant
c. Dag Hammarskjöld
4. Which of these three U.N. agencies was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize twice?
a. United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
b. United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
c. United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
5. The name “United Nations” was first suggested by?
a. John Rockefeller
b. Jawahar Lal Nehru
c. Winston Churchill
d. Franklin Roosevelt
6. What was the first United Nations Peacekeeping Force?
a. United Nations Truce Supervision Organization (UNTSO)
b. United Nations Emergency Force (UNEF)
c. United Nations Interim Force in Lebannon (UNIFIL)
7. When was the United Nations founded?
8. The Secretariat uses two working languages. What are the two languages?
9. In 1980 the World Health Organization (WHO) announced the eradication of which of the following diseases?
10. The United Nations formed by replacing which organization?
a. League of Peace
b. League of Nations
c. League of Security
d. League of System
11. The Chinese writing standard in the U.N. is Simplified Chinese. It replaced Traditional Chinese in?
(Check the bottom of this webpage for the answer key)
The Martha B. Alworth International Brown Bag Series
To honor Martha Alworth for her commitment to and enjoyment of this series, it will henceforth be called the Martha B. Alworth International Brown Bag Series. In this way, she remains a part of the program, even if her chair in the front row is empty.Information on Dates and Times of the presentations can be found here.
United Nations Quiz Answers:
1. b; 2. c.; 3. c.; 4. b; 5. d.; 6. b; 7. a; 8. b & c; 9. a; 10. b; 11. a