Report of VCFO Unit Change Team (January 2012)
VCFO Unit Change Team Recommended Action Steps to Address Goal 2:
1. Provide all VCFO employees with "Respectful Workplace/Diversity training to be completed by December 15, 2011; offer two sessions for the campus community during 2011-2012 school year.
VCFO training sessions
Campus community training sessions
• Fall Semester: 10/19/2011
• Spring Semester: To be announced
ALL FALL SESSION HAVE BEEN COMPLETED, NO DATE FOR SPRING HAS BEEN SET, HOWEVER, I WOULD LIKE TO REPORT THAT THE CHANCELLOR'S OFFICE REQUESTED THIS SESSION AND IT WAS COMPLETED ON 1/5/12.
2. VCFO units will provide an annual report/chart depicting the diversity in both staff and student employees in their respective units.
RESPONSE: This is a recommendation that we hope the Vice Chancellors for Finance and Operations will adopt. WHO WILL FOLLOW UP ON THIS?
3. VCFO staff to participate in the IDI assessment (measuring cultural competency); recommend to Campus Change Team (CCT) to offer this to other units.
RESPONSE: Confirmation of presenter and approval from VCFO are pending. THIS IS BEING DONE BUT THE PARTICIPANTS WILL NOT BE VCFO STAFF.
4. Implement "Cops & Doughnuts and students program,” UMD cops talking with UMD students over coffee and doughnuts. Recommend this twice during 2011-2012.
RESPONSE: The planning of this program is in progress. ONE SESSION WAS HELD WHICH WAS VERY SUCCESSFUL.
5. UMD Police/Duluth Police/Student Relationships: Sean is contacting Chief Ramsey for his availability to attend one of our meetings to discuss this further i.e., what will this look like?
RESPONSE: Duluth Police Chief Gordon Ramsay was contacted, and we are waiting to hear back from him regarding this program. THE VCFO UNIT CHANGE TEAM MET WITH DEPUTY CHIEF MIKE TUSKEN ON 1/6/2012.
6. Incorporate the Respectful/Diversity training into orientation for new employees.
RESPONSE: The planning for developing and implementing this action step is pending approval of the Director of HR & EO and VCFO. UMD HR & EO ARE IN THE PROCESS OF DEVELOPING.
7. Develop a 15-20 minute information session on diversity hiring.
RESPONSE: The planning for developing and implementing this action step pending direction from Director of HR & EO. UMD HR & EO ARE WORKING ON THIS.
8. VCFO to do a current assessment of signage in Darland Administration and two outside locations to assess diversity (Recommend to CCT that other units do the same signage assessment).
RESPONSE: AT VCFO RESPECTFUL WORKPLACE/DIVERSITY TRAINING, Challenge each unit to go back to their departments to brainstorm and develop signage (posters, fliers, etc.) that could put outside and/or inside their offices that would be more welcoming to all people and promote respect and diversity. Example, HR could have a staff photo on a poster that states "We promote a diverse workplace," near their entry way. The same challenge could be given to the Signage Policy Committee that reviews all other signage on campus and at the campus entrances that all future signage approved should include something promoting respect and diversity. This could be completed during the 2011-2012 school year. The challenge will be to spread this effort to remaining departments the following year.
WHO IS FOLLOWING UP ON THIS?
• Mary L. Cameron, UMD HR & EO, Facilitator
• Tim LeGarde/Sean Huls, UMD Police
• Linda Olcott, UMD FM
• Greg Sather, UMD Business Office
• Cathy Rackliffe, HR/EO Support