University of Minnesota Duluth block M and wordmark

Supplemental Grading / Change of Grades FAQ

Why are supplemental grades being submitted on-line?
Submitting early/late grades and grade changes on-line has many benefits. It will make grades available to students more quickly, eliminate the current paper process and allow a number of other processes to proceed in a timely manner.
When is the system available for use?
The system is available seven-days a week; however, it is unavailable from 4:00 - 5:30 am Monday-Saturday and 4:00 am -12:30 pm on Sunday for system backup. 
Can I designate someone else to enter supplemental grades?
Yes. You may designate a proxy to enter early/late grades or grade changes. To designate a proxy you should contact your department head/secretary.
Will I need approval from my department if I am entering a grade late or early?
No, you will not need approval when entering grades late or early. Some departments MAY, however, require approval for GRADE CHANGES. Contact your department head to find out if your department requires approval for grade changes.
How long does it take for a grade change to be processed?
If your department does not require approval for grade changes, the change will be made immediately after it is submitted and you will receive a confirmation email. If your department does require approval for grade changes, then the grade change will be processed after it is approved or denied by the designated approver in your department.
How far back can I enter grade changes?
The system does not have access to classes prior to fall 1999. If you need to enter a grade change for classes prior to fall 1999, you must submit a change of grade to Office of the Registrar via the paper form.

Web grade entry began spring 2003; at that time, all departments were asked to grant approval to instructors to allow web grade entry. If you are unable change a grade online, contact your department scheduler and ask that he/she verify your grade entry access is listed as "approved" on the PeopleSoft instructors page.
I have department entry access, why are there classes missing from my list?
Department entry access is defined by the Academic org. You should check to make sure that the Academic org has been assigned correctly.
I have submitted my change of grade and forgot to add a comment. Can I add one later?
No. Once you click the "submit" button you may not return to enter comments. So it is very important to check your change of grade and comments before submitting them.
I am using free form comments in Internet Explorer and I can not scroll up. Is there anything else I can do?
Internet Explorer does not allow you to use the scroll button. It is best to use the up/down arrow keys on your keyboard.
The comment option I need is not on the standard list. What do I do?
You can type the comment in free form. If you would like for a comment to be standard, you may submit your request for consideration by email to Carla Boyd, Office of the Registrar, 8795, or Carly Moritz, Office of the Registrar, 8800,
How do I choose which reason code to use?
Below is the list of reason codes and the Office of the Registrar defines them as:
  1. Error in Initial Grade Entry - The initial submission of this grade was incorrect due to a keying or transposing error.
  2. Initial Grade Entry - This is the first grade submitted for this student for this class for this term.
  3. Late Coursework submitted - The student's grade is being changed because additional coursework was submitted after the initial grade was assigned.
  4. Made up or completed I or X - The student's grade is being updated from a grade of I or X to a final grade.
  5. Other - None of the listed predefined reasons match this situation. I will give an explanation in the Comment field.
  6. Student Changed Grading Basis - The student had a different grading basis at the time the final grade was submitted from what the grading basis is now.
  7. Student's Work Re-evaluated - No new work has been submitted. The existing student work was re-evaluated and reconsidered. Something of value was overlooked in the initial evaluation of the work.
Why did I receive more than one notification for the same completed grade change?
Email notifications are sent to everyone on the instructor list including the proxy and department contact person. If you have both roles, you will receive more than one email for the same change of grade.
Does the student receive an email notifying him/her of the grade change?
No. We have found that some students do not check their email. If a student is expecting a grade change they will have to monitor their transcript.
How do I find out who made the grade change for a class?
Both the confirmation and approval emails will contain the line "Initiated by:" with information listing the name and email address of the person who made the grade change.
I have been designated an approver for my department, what does this mean?
This means that you have been selected to receive emails each time there is a grade change has been made. It is your responsibility to approve or deny the grade change.
I have been designated an approver for my department. Why did I receive more than one request for grade changes in the same class?
A "request for approval email" is sent each time an instructor clicks the "submit" button for that class. If an instructor submits several grade changes in different transactions, you will get an email for each time. But if the instructor submits several changes in only one transaction then you will receive one email.
I am an approver and have deleted the e-mail with the link to approve or deny a grade change. How do I get to the class I need to approve?
The link can also be located from the Supplemental Grades page. The link is labeled "Approve Supplemental Grades."

revised 11/14/05

Did you find what you were looking for? YES NO

Choose appearance:
[ Desktop | Mobile friendly ]