- Byers, Tim. Smoke: New Firewood Cooking. NY: Rizzoli, 2012 (Reprinted 2013).
- The Center for Genomic Gastronomy ["The Center for Genomic Gastronomy Is an artist-led think tank that examines the biotechnologies and biodiversity of human food systems"]
- McGee, Harold. The Curious Cook: More Kitchen Science and Lore. NY: Farrar, Strauss & Giroux, 1990.
- McGee, Harold. On Food and Cooking. NY: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1984.
- Meat, Fire And The Evolution Of Man -- NPR (02 August 2010)
- Pollan, Michael. Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation. NY: Penguin, 2013.
- Salami and sausages the traditional way -- BBC News (7 February 2008)
- Texas Monthly Barbecue
- Thorn, Stuart. The History of Food Preservation. Rowman & Littlefield, 1986. [Totowa, NJ: Barnes & Noble, 1986]
- Vaughn, Daniel. The Prophets of Smoked Meat: A Journey Through Texas Barbecue. NY: Ecco/HarperCollins, 2013.
- Weiss, Brad. Real Pigs: Shifting Values in the Field of Local Pork. Durham: Duke University Press, 2016.
- Wilson, Anne C. Waste Not, Want Not: Food Preservation from Early Times to the Present Day. Edinburgh Universitiy Press, 1992.