- Ancient medicines were alcoholic -- BBC News (14 April 2009)
- Bampilis, Tryfon.
Greek Whisky:The Localization of a Global Commodity. NY: Berghan, 2013.
- Collins, Tony. Mud, Sweat and Beers: A Cultural History of Sport and Alcohol. Bloomsbury/Berg, 2002.
- Coulombe, Charles A. Rum: The Epic Story of the Drink That Conquered the World. Citadel, 2005.
- Comer, James. "Distilled Beverages." In The Cambridge World History of Food, ed. by K. F. Kiple and K. C. Ornelas. Cambridge, UK; NY: Cambridge University Press, 2000.III.5.
- Curtis, Wayne. And a Bottle of Rum: A History of the New World in Ten Cocktails. Broadway, 2007.
- Drink Culture: It's as Old as the Hills -- New Scientist (13 November 2009)
- Eight ancient drinks uncorked by science -- msnbc (15 December 2009)
- Foss, Richard. Rum: A Global History. Reaktion, 2012.
- Holt, Mack P. (Ed.). Alcohol: A Social and Cultural History. Bloomsbury/Berg, 2006.
- Smith, Frederick H. Caribbean Rum: A Social and Economic History. University Press of Florida, 2008.
- Standing, Tom. A History of the World in 6 Glasses. NY: Walker, 2005.
- Stewart, Amy. The Drunken Botanist: The Plants that Creat the World's Great Drinks. Algonquin, 2013.
- Wilson, Thomas M. (Ed.). Drinking Cultures: Alcohol and Identity. Bloomsbury/Berg, 2005.
- The World in a Glass: Six Drinks That Changed History -- nationalgeographic.com (3 October 2005)