[webdev] Web Design Update: December 31, 2010

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Fri Dec 31 11:57:48 CST 2010

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 9, Issue 27, December 31, 2010.

design and development.

03: COLOR.

What are Your Resolutions for an Accessible 2011?
By Yahoo! Accessibility Lab.
"Are you ready for the new year? Many of us have already resolved to
lose the 10 pounds that we resolved to drop in 2010. However, there
are other resolutions you can make to provide a more accessible world
to your family, friends, students, and the rest of the world. We've
asked some friends for advice and here are some suggestions for making
the world a bit better..."
http://yaccessibilityblog.com/wp/resolutions-accessible-2011.html

How to Make HTML5 Semantic Elements More Accessible
By Virginia DeBolt.
"The new semantic elements in HTML5 hold accessibility promise. It's
merely potential for improvement at the current time, because the
semantic elements introduced in HTML5 are not yet universally
recognized by browsers and assistive technology devices. Here are some
of the new elements..."
http://www.webteacher.ws/2010/12/29/how-to-make-html5-semantic-elements-more-accessible

Video Captioning Essentials
By mncdhh.org.
"Welcome to Video Captioning Essentials, a self-study course designed
to help managers master the basic tools needed to deliver captioned
web videos that are useful, cost-effective, and satisfy legal and
regulatory requirements...."
http://www.mncdhh.org/captioningessentials/

Writing ALT Descriptions
By John Eric Brandt.
"Several months ago I was searching for resources on how to write a
decent - 'good' - Alternative Description, also known as an 'ALT
description'."
http://jebswebs.net/blog/2010/12/writing-alt-descriptions/

PDF Techniques Roadmap
Web Content Accessibility Guidelines Working Group Wiki.
"This WIKI page is a helper page, to give the WCAG membership a view
of the overall set of PDF techniques and how the techniques relate to
the Success Criteria. The list is organized by criterion, with each
criterion listing its title description, followed by one or more
bullet points/notes."
http://trace.wisc.edu/wcag_wiki/index.php?title=PDF_Techniques_Roadmap

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Testing Tricks: CSS Bookmarklets
By Jens O. Meiert.
"On complex development environments and CSS bookmarklets as a testing
complement. Complement as in you've done everything you can but want
to err on the safe side..."
http://meiert.com/en/blog/20101229/css-bookmarklets/

The Current CSS Gradients Mess...
By Daniel Glazman.
"Let's take a given square box. Height and width are the same. We want
to apply a red-to-black background at let's say alpha degrees and
through the center C (50%, 50%) of the box. The W3C gradients draft
says we find the start and end points of the gradient that way.."
http://www.glazman.org/weblog/dotclear/index.php?post/2010/12/28/The-current-CSS-Gradients-mess

+03: COLOR.

Why You Should Never Pair Green and Red Together on the Web
By Anthony.
"Everyone would agree that green and red are colors that pair well
together on Christmas. But on the web, pairing these coors together
can present problems for your users. There are three reasons why you
should avoid using green and red together on your website..."
http://uxmovement.com/color/never-pair-green-and-red-together-on-the-web

+04: MISCELLANEOUS.

A Guide to the Open Internet
By Michael Ciarlo.
"Network neutrality is the idea that your cellular, cable, or phone
internet connection should treat all websites and services the
same..."
http://theopeninter.net/

Web Axe 2010 Year in Review
By Dennis Lembree and Ross Johnson.
http://webaxe.blogspot.com/2010/12/podcast-87-web-axe-2010-year-in-review.html

An Interview with Jesse James Garrett
By Russ Unger.
"...I'm pretty excited that the new edition of Elements of User
Experience is out-the first edition was one of the first books I
really connected with, and it's great to see a refresh. What are some
of the highlights in this version?...There is so much evident care and
craft in the Rosenfeld Media books - I think they now occupy the place
O'Reilly books held 15 years ago as definitive works..."
http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1671026

+05: PHP.

Mistrust and Verify
By Kitt Hodsden.
"...When working on a web app with coworkers or fellow volunteers, few
things are more important within the group than trust. Trust among
developers enables them to work confidently, eases communication
between team members, and empowers each of them to make good
decisions. With the actual app, however, that trust should never come
easily. With today's web apps, you can't trust anything. You can't
trust input from the user, you can't trust your code, you can't trust
your processes, and you can't trust your systems..."
http://phpadvent.org/2010/mistrust-and-verify-by-kitt-hodsden

+06: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

Understanding HTML5 Validation
By Louis Lazaris.
"One of things that we need to get used to when making the switch from
HTML4/XHTML to HTML5 is the way HTML5 validation works, because it's
drastically different from what we've become accustomed to in previous
iterations of web markup...The fact that the validators don't spit out
any errors does not mean the code is good. Developers should still
endeavor to adopt consistent coding methods to keep their code clean
and organized..."
http://www.impressivewebs.com/understanding-html5-validation/

+07: USABILITY.

Kinect Gestural UI: First Impressions
By Jakob Nielsen.
"Inconsistent gestures, invisible commands, overlooked warnings,
awkward dialog conformations. But fun to play."
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/kinect-gesture-ux.html

Recapping the HFI UI Design Message for 2010
By John Sorflaten.
"...True to our usability roots, we'll provide you this high-level
information architecture to our 2010 year-end review: Goals, Strategy,
Testing, and Organizational Development..."
http://www.humanfactors.com/downloads/dec10.asp#research

The Top 10 Useful Usability Articles for 2010
By W Craig Tomlin.
"...Who determined the top 10 list?  You and your fellow readers did!
My methodology was simple, I evaluated Google Analytics to determine
the most popular content for 2010 as measured by unique page views.
Turns out there were a few interesting surprises in the list..."
http://www.usefulusability.com/2010-top-10-useful-usability-articles/

http://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/dreamweaver.html

http://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/flash.html

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu