[webdev] Web Design Update: June 4, 2015

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Thu Jun 4 06:10:59 CDT 2015

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 13, Issue 50, June 4, 2015.

design and development.

05: HTML5.
10: XML.

A (Rough) Manifesto for Accessible User Experience
By David Sloan and Sarah Horton.
"When we examine accessibility through the lens of user experience, we
see that accessibility is..."
https://medium.com/@accessibleux/rough-manifesto-for-accessible-user-experience-10a3ea34a3d6

The Accessibility Cheatsheet
By Ire Aderinokun.
"...The WCAG contain some very useful information, and so I decided to
condense the very extensive guidelines and highlight some practical
examples of what we can do to implement them and make our websites
more accessible..."
http://www.bitsofco.de/2015/the-accessibility-cheatsheet/

National Federation of the Blind and Two Blind Students Resolve
Complaint Against Atlantic Cape Community College
By National Federation of the Blind.
"The agreement requires ACCC to work with a third-party consultant and
the National Federation of the Blind to take steps to improve the
educational experience of students with disabilities and to prevent
discrimination against these students, including: Conducting a
technology audit and, based on the audit results, developing a plan to
make all student-facing electronic and information technology used by
ACCC accessible to students with disabilities no later than three
years from the completion of the technology accessibility audit..."
https://nfb.org/national-federation-blind-and-two-blind-students-resolve-complaint-against-atlantic-cape-community

Accessible Online Learning Community Group
By W3C.
"...The activities of the Accessible Online Learning W3C Community
Group take place at the intersection of accessibility and online
learning. We focus on reviewing current W3C resources and technologies
to ensure the requirements for accessible online learning experiences
are considered. We also identify areas where additional resources and
technologies are needed to ensure full participation of people with
disabilities in online learning experiences..."
https://www.w3.org/community/accesslearn/

Web Accessibility has Never Been More Affordable
By Scott Hollier.
"...Overall it's clear that web accessibility has never been more
affordable, especially if we reflect back on the state of play when
WCAG 2.0 was released in December 2008..."
http://www.accessiq.org/news/w3c-column/2015/06/web-accessibility-has-never-been-more-affordable

No One Speaks for Me!: Accessibility Must Include Communication Access
By Glenda Watson.
"I shared this story during last week's CBC Radio interview, in which
Communication Disabilities Access Canada's Executive Director Barbara
Collier and I, in my role as CDAC's Social Media Coordinator, briefly
discussed communication access for individuals with speech and
language disabilities..."
http://www.doitmyselfblog.com/2015/no-one-speaks-for-me-accessibility-must-include-communication-access/

The Viking and The Lumberjack: Accessibility in the Real World
By Billy Gregory.
"Think accessibility is just for people with disabilities? The Viking
and The Lumberjack disagree! Join Karl 'The Viking' Groves and Billy
'The Lumberjack' Gregory as they take a humorous look at how we all
use 'accessibility' features in our every day lives..."
http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/2015/06/the-viking-and-the-lumberjack-accessibility-in-the-real-world/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Inserting Content with CSS testing Assistive Technology and APIs
By David MacDonald.
"Below is an example of CSS being used to insert content and the
result for assistive technology..."
http://davidmacd.com/blog/inserting-content-with-css-accessibility.html

Revisiting :Visited
By Joel Califa.
"...This is just one possible implementation of a valuable idea that
has been neglected for years. One that can improve the experience of
almost any site online today. While content sites with simple text
links should definitely be taking advantage of :visited again, It
would be great to see people come up with creative solutions for image
and video links. More complex :visited states are currently
greenfield, but with some experimentation we could end up with a new
convention for all types of media. Wouldn't it be great to take one
look at any kind of element and just know?"
http://joelcalifa.com/blog/revisiting-visited/

Viewport vs Percentage Units
By Ire Aderinokun.
"In my article about CSS font sizes, I wrote about the (relatively)
new viewport units. These units - vw, vh, vmin, and vmax - are based
on the size of the browser viewport. Because their actual size changes
depending on the viewport size, this makes them great units for
responsive design. Although in my previous post I argued against using
these units for font sizes, they can be very useful for defining
layout elements..."
http://www.bitsofco.de/2015/viewport-vs-percentage-units/

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Insight Led by Data Not Gut Instinct
By Gerry McGovern.
"Over the years I've developed a survey technique that looks
absolutely crazy and unworkable..."
http://www.gerrymcgovern.com/new-thinking/insight-led-data-not-gut-instinct

7 Ways to Handle Missing Data
By Jeff Sauro.
"...Missing data is like a medical concern: ignoring it doesn't make
it go away. Ideally your data is missing at random and one of these
seven approaches will help you make the most of the data you have."
http://www.measuringu.com/blog/handle-missing-data.php

Usability Testing of Fruit (Video)
By Blink UX.
"Have you ever wondered what would happen if you did a usability test
on fruit? We did. Blink Interactive created this funny look at
something near and dear to our hearts - usability testing..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qg80qTfzgU

+04: EVENTS.

UX Week
August 25-28, 2015.
San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
http://uxweek.com/

UX Australia
August 25-28, 2015.
Brisbane, Australia
http://uxaustralia.com.au/uxaustralia-2015/

BigDesign
September 17-19, 2015.
Addison, Texas, U.S.A.
http://bigdesigndallas.com/

UCD 15 Conference
October 23-25, 2015.
London, England, United Kingdom
http://2015.ucduk.org/

User Interface Conference 20
November 2-4, 2015.
Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A.
http://ui20.uie.com/

+05: HTML5.

The dl Element
By Mike Robinson.
"The <dl> element existed in HTML 4, but it's been repurposed in
HTML5. Let the Doctor explain what's changed and how it can be
used..."
http://html5doctor.com/the-dl-element/

+06: JAVASCRIPT.

ARIA-multiline (property)
By Rakesh Paladugula.
"Aria-multilline property is used in conjunction with input type
textarea. Textarea is used when user is expected to provide large
content in a form. This attribute is used for fields like feedback,
comments in a form. Screen readers such as NVDA cannot identify the
difference between normal text and textarea. So users who use them...
Continue Reading ARIA-multiline (property)..."
http://www.maxability.co.in/2015/05/aria-multiline-property/

Periodic Table of ARIA 1.0 Roles
By Dylan Barrell.
http://dylanb.github.io/periodic-aria-roles.html

Periodic Table of ARIA 1.0 Attributes
By Dylan Barrell.
http://dylanb.github.io/periodic-aria-attributes.html

+07: NAVIGATION.

Accordions on Mobile
By Raluca Budiu.
"Accordions conserve space on mobile but they can also cause
disorientation and too much scrolling. Easy design fixes improve the
usability of these UI elements.
http://www.nngroup.com/articles/mobile-accordions/

+08: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

The Web is not Poor Man's Native
By Chris Wilson.
"I agree quite strongly that the web does not need to emulate native
to provide a powerful, vibrant app ecosystem. If your goal is to build
awesome experiences for the web, you will be very poorly served by
attempting to just emulate native. The web has its own set of
strengths - its ephemeral nature and lack of friction, for example,
and its incremental security model..."
http://cwilso.com/2015/05/29/the-web-is-not-poor-mans-native/

+09: USABILITY.

The Complexity of Simplicity (Video)
By Dan Saffer.
"Discover ways to recognize and avoid complicated products and
solutions, and tools to achieve simplicity."
http://ui20.uie.com/videos/the-complexity-of-simplicity

Material Design - Why the Floating Action Button is Bad UX Design
By Teo Yu Siang.
"...While FABs seem to provide good UX in ideal conditions, in actual
practice, widespread adoption of FABs might be detrimental to the
overall UX of the app. Here are some reasons why..."
https://medium.com/tech-in-asia/material-design-why-the-floating-action-button-is-bad-ux-design-acd5b32c5ef

6 Mistakes that Prevent UX Teams from Having Boardroom Influence
By Philip Hodgson.
"We're seeing a sea-change in our industry as firms scramble to build
fledgling user experience (UX) teams. While this is a sure sign of a
maturing discipline, it is not without its teething problems. In
particular, the voice of the UX team can sometimes sound more like a
whisper. Why do some UX teams fail to achieve the impact expected of
them? Here are 6 mistakes we've seen in UX teams that prevent them
from having boardroom influence..."
http://www.userfocus.co.uk/articles/6-mistakes.html

15 Mobile UX Facts and Insights 2015
By Jeff Sauro.
"...We first presented a number of facts and insights in 2013. Here's
an updated version with some new additions and a look back on how
accurate some of the 2013 projections were. I've again included as
many sources as possible so you can double check our conclusions..."
http://www.measuringu.com/blog/mobile-insights-2015.php

+10: XML.

How To Apply SVG Radial Gradients To A Fill Or Stroke
By Steven Bradley.
"Last week I walked you through working with linear gradients in SVG.
I promised I'd talk about radial gradients today. As you probably
expect, radial gradients are similar to linear gradients in a number
of ways. They mainly differ in how the gradient itself is defined..."
http://www.vanseodesign.com/web-design/svg-radial-graidents/

Drupal Information.

HTML Information.

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu