- GCforum -- post your meaningful observations on the GCforum once a week
Week 03 GCforum Topic
The Pope Speaks . . .
(23 September 2006)
Profile: Pope Benedict XVI
The head of my church,
Pope Benedict XVI, has iritated some to the point where people are being killed over what he had to say.
In a speech in Bavaria [at the University of Regensburg, Germany, entitled "Faith, Reason and the University: Memories and Reflections" (key excerpts of Regensburg speech) (text of speech)] Pope Benedict XVI said,
"In the seventh conversation . . . the [erudite Byzantine Emperor Manuel II Paleologus]
touches on the theme of the holy war. Without descending to details, such as the difference in treatment accorded to those who have the 'Book' and the 'infidels', he addresses his interlocutor with a startling brusqueness on the central question about the relationship between religion and violence in general, saying: 'Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached.'"
In pictures: Muslim anger at Pope -- BBC News
"Some Indian Muslims burnt an effigy of the world's Roman Catholic leader who quoted remarks which linked Islam to violence."
"In Srinagar in Kashmir, where members of the Muslim League demonstrated, police detained a number of protesters."
"The row is being felt particularly in Turkey which the Pope is due to visit this year."
Headlines read . . .
Today [Monday, 25 September 2006], in still another attempt to calm things down, Pope Benedict XVI met with and gave a speech to ". . . Muslim envoys, [wherein] the pontiff tried to defuse tensions between the Catholic Church and Islam over comments he made earlier this month in southern Germany" (text of speech of 22 September 2006).
- From the point of view of trying to understand global cultures, what do you make of these developments?
- If you were advising the Pope, based on what you have learned so far in Understanding Global Cultures, what advice would you give him at this point in time?
Be sure to set your "Folder Selector"
in the main window
to the current week
[use the “Reload/Main button" to get to the main window]
Set first message for Week 3
REM: If you have any questions, you can post them on the GCforum
or bring them up in class
- At a minimum of once a week post a meaningful message on the class discussion on-line chat board located at GCforum
- at least one topic of your weekly posting(s) should be related to the class topic(s) of the week
- i.e., in Week 02, for example, you should discuss a topic related to what is happening in class during Week 02
- at the very end of the semester, i.e., in Week 15, post a course evaluation of the class itself