- Anderson, Maureen. Fasting: Releasing the Miraculous Through Fasting & Prayer. Tulsa, OK: Harrison House, 2012.
- Bahmani, A. "Islamic fasting and its effect on pre-diabetic population." Scientific Journal of Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences 18, no. 1 (2013): Pe40-Pe46
- Bell, Rudolph M. Holy Anorexia. University Of Chicago Press, 1987.
- Brumberg, Joan Jacobs. Fasting Girls: The History of Anorexia Nervosa. Vintage, 2000.
- Bynum Walker, Caroline. Holy Feast and Holy Fast: The Religious Significance of Food to Medieval Women. University of California Press, 1988.
- Christian Fasting: A Theological Approach -- Bible.org
- Fagan, Brian. Fish on Friday: Feasting, Fasting, and Discovery of the New World. NY: Basic Books, 2006.
- Federman,Adam Federman. Fasting and Feasting: The Life of Visionary Food Writer Patience Gray. White River Junction, VT: Chelsea Green, 2017.
- Fernandez-Armesto, Felipe. Near a Thousand Tables: A History of Food. NY: The Free Press, 2002.
- Gross, Aaron S., Jody Myers, and Jordan D. Rosenblum (Eds.) Feasting and Fasting: The History and Ethics of Jewish Food. NY: New York University Press, 2019.
- Holy anorexia -- Wikipedia
- Idleman, Shane. Feasting & Fasting: What Works, What Doesn't, and Why. El Paso, TX: El Paso Publications, 2018.
- Jeûne genevois [Switzerland, public holiday, fasting] -- Wikipedia
- Jotischky, Andrew. A Hermit's Cookbook: Monks, Food & Fasting in the Middle Ages. Continuum, 2011.
- Lelwica, Michelle Mary. Starving For Salvation: The Spiritual Dimensions of Eating Problems among American Girls and Women. Oxford University Press, 2002.
- Luard, Elisabeth. Sacred Food: Cooking for Spiritual Nourishment. Chicago: Chicago Review Press, 2004 .
- McCullough, Megan, and Jessica Hardin (Eds.) Reconstructing Obesity: The Meaning of Measures and the Measure of Meanings. Food, Nutrition, and Culture Series. NY: Berghahn, 2013.
- Mol, Annemarie. Eating in Theory. Durham, London: Duke University Press, 2021.
- Rubin, Jordan, and Dr. Josh Axe. Essential Fasting: 12 Benefits of Intermittent Fasting and Other Fasting Plans for Accelerating Weight Loss, Crushing Cravings, and Reversing Aging. Shippensburg, PA: 2020.
- Simoons, Frederick J. Eat not this flesh: food avoidances from prehistory to the present, 2nd Ed. Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin Press, 1994.
- Therapeutic Fasting - Worldwide Links
- World Religions
- American Indian
- ritual anthropophagy see Anthropophagy