- "A Recipe for Action: Deconstructing Food Advertising" -- Center for Media Literacy (CML): Best Practices
- Cardello, Hank, and Doug Garr. Stuffed: An Insider's Look at Who's (Really) Making America Fat. NY: HarperCollins, 2009.
- Carolan, Michael. The Real Cost of Cheap Food. Routledge, 2011.
- Critser, Greg. Fat Land: How Americans Became the Fattest People in the World. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 2003.
- Hauter, Wenonah. Foodopoly: The Battle Over the Future of Food and Farming in America. New Press, 2012.
- International Junk and Snack Food Review
- Jurafsky, Dan. The Language of Food: A Linguist Reads the Menu. NY: Norton, 2014.
- Kessler, David. The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite. Rodale, 2009.
[Such foods he argues, artfully layer fat on sugar on salt on fat (I've begun to see this as an acronymn--FOS/SOF or more musically "Frankenfoods") to release the brain chemical dopamine, leading to a kind of "conditioned hypereating." -- RH]
- Levenstein, Harvey. Paradox of Plenty: A Social History of Eating in Modern America, Revised Edition. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press, 2003.
- Lustig, Robert H. Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity, and Disease. Hudson Street, 2012.
- Meals make us human: Felipe Fernandez-Armesto Never mind obesity, it's the loneliness of the fast food eater that matters --
Felipe Fernandez-Armesto, The Guardian (13 September 2002)
- Nestle, Marion. Food Politics: How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition, Revised and Expanded Edition. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2013.
- Nestle, Marion. What to Eat. NY: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2006.
- Nestle, Marion, and Malden Nesheim. Why Calories Count: From Science to Politics. University of California Press, 2012.
- Pollan, Michael. Food Rules: An Eater's Manual. NY: Penguin, 2009.
- Popkin, Barry. The World is Fat: The Fads, Trends, Policies, and Products That Are Fattening the Human Race. Penguin Avery, 2009.
- Sicherman, Al. Caramel Knowledge: Bostess Bupcakes, Peanut-Butter Coffee, Herring in a Cloud, Wienie Zucchini and More Food and Culinary Musings for the Twisted Mind, Expanded Edition. NY: Harper & Row, 1998.
- Simon, Michele. Appetite for Profit: How the Food Industry Undermines Our Health, and How to Fight Back. NY: Nation/Avalon Publishing Co., 2006.
- Wansink, Brian. Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think. NY: Bantam, 2010.