- Americans are fat, and expected to get a lot fatter -- MPR (17 November 2011)
- "A Recipe for Action: Deconstructing Food Advertising" -- Center for Media Literacy (CML): Best Practices
- Better Data, Better Health [search site for "obesity"] -- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Boston Nutrition Obesity Research Center
- Brownell, Kelly D., and Katherine Battle Horgen. Food Fight: The Inside Story of The Food Industry, America's Obesity Crisis, and What We Can Do About It. NY: McGraw-Hill, 2003.
- Call to measure duration of obesity ["obese-year"] -- BBCNews (22 August 2011)
- Campbell, T. Colin, and Thomas M. Campbell II. The China Study: the Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-term Health. Dallas, TX: BenBella, 2006.
- Cardello, Hank, and Doug Garr. Stuffed: An Insider's Look at Who's (Really) Making America Fat. NY: HarperCollins, 2009.
- Carmichael, Mary.
How Fat Went Global: It's not just Americans anymore; the whole world is becoming obese, and we have more than just the advent of cheap cheeseburgers to blame.
Newsweek Web Exclusive (18 December 2008)
- Carolan, Michael. The Real Cost of Cheap Food. Routledge, 2011.
- Childhood Obesity -- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults -- National Institutes of Health (NIH), Department of Health and Human Services
- Counihan, Carole M. The Anthropology of Food and Body: Gender, Meaning and Power. NY: Routledge, 1999.
- Evolutionary Link to Modern-Day Obesity, Other Problems -- Northwestern University (12 February 2009)
- Examination of Front-of-Package Nutrition Rating Systems and Symbols -- Institute of Medicine of the National Academies
- Fat Butts May Be Healthy -- LiveScience (12 January 2010)
- Fat of the lands: The bulging problem of obesity -- The Economist (23 September 2010)
- Finkelstein, Eric A., and Laurie Zuckerman. The Fattening of America: How The Economy Makes Us Fat, If It Matters, and What To Do About It. NY: John Wiley & Sons, 2008.
- The Food Museum
- Food’s New Foot Soldiers -- Mark Bittman, Opinionator, The New York Times (23 August 2011)
- Health Observatory -- Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy
- How obesity is reshaping our world -- BBCNews (03 February 2011)
- video: How to Get Fat Without Really Trying: Peter Jennings Reporting -- snagfilms.com
- Kessler, David. The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite. Rodale, 2009.
[Such foods he argues, artfully layer fat on sugar on salt on fat (I've begun to see this as an acronymn--FOS/SOF or more musically "Frankenfoods") to release the brain chemical dopamine, leading to a kind of "conditioned hypereating." -- RH]
- Let's Move
Let's Move! is the U.S government website that supports First Lady Michelle Obama's goal to "solve the epidemic of childhood obesity within a generation." The Department of Education, the USDA, and the Department of Health and Human Services have teamed up to tackle the problem, and they have all made significant contributions to the website. Visitors will find that the website is organized into the following sections: "Healthy Choices", "Healthier Schools", "Physical Activity", and "Access to Affordable Healthy Food". Clicking on any section will let visitor learn more about the programs and initiatives of each section, and involve several other government departments and non-profit organizations such as the FDA, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the Institute of Medicine. On the right hand menu of most sections, visitors can learn about the research and information known about the problem, as well as how people can help in the communities in which they live. The section on "Access to Affordable Healthy Food" is particularly important for the meals served at home, as it addresses a most basic problem of getting kids and parents to eat healthy items throughout the day. [KMG] -- The Scout Report May 14, 2010 Volume 16, Number 19.
- Levenstein, Harvey. Paradox of Plenty: A Social History of Eating in Modern America, Revised Edition. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press, 2003.
- Lustig, Robert H. Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity, and Disease. Hudson Street, 2012.
- Marriage and divorce 'up weight', says study -- BBCNews (22 August 2011)
- Meals make us human: Felipe Fernandez-Armesto Never mind obesity, it's the loneliness of the fast food eater that matters --
Felipe Fernandez-Armesto, The Guardian (13 September 2002)
- Nestle, Marion. Food Politics: How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition, Revised and Expanded Edition. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2007.
- Nestle, Marion. What to Eat. NY: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2006.
- Nestle, Marion, and Malden Nesheim. Why Calories Count: From Science to Politics. University of California Press, 2012.
- Nutrition transition -- Wikipedia
- Obese patient needs bigger ambulance -- BBCNews (03 February 2011)
- Obesity -- NOVA Science Now (July 2006)
- Obesity affects one in 10 adults around the world -- BBCNews (03 February 2011)
- Obesity: blame the ancestors -- Guardian (12 February 2009)
- Obesity 'epidemic' turns global -- BBC News (23 October 2007)
- Obesity gene discovery 'may cut cases blamed on abuse' -- BBC News (06 December 2009)
- Obesity Society
- "Obesity: The Plague of the 21st Century" -- Scott Weigle, MD, Molecular Medicine Webcasts, Molecular Medicine Program, University of Washington
- Overweight and Obesity -- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- video: Peter Jennings Reporting: How to Get Fat Without Really Trying -- snagfilms.com
- Parenting an overweight child can be difficult -- The Washington Post (22 March 2011)
- Pollan, Michael. Food Rules: An Eater's Manual. NY: Penguin, 2009.
- Popkin, Barry. The World is Fat: The Fads, Trends, Policies, and Products That Are Fattening the Human Race. Penguin Avery, 2009.
- Public Health Genomics -- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Researchers warn of danger of long term obesity -- BBCNews (23 August 2011)
- Single gene fuels overeating risk -- BBC News (12 January 2009)
- The Skinny on Obesity -- UCtelevision
- Sociologists Weigh In On Obesity Increasing The Length Of Hospital Stays -- ScienceDaily (1 January 2009)
- Sting in the Tail of Farming Revolution [an interview with Dr Spencer Wells, re Pandora's Seed: The Unforeseen Cost of Civilization (NY: Random House, 2010) -- BBC News (07 June 2010)
- Top 100 Stories of 2009 #53: The Fat That Can Make You Thin -- Discover (30 December 2009)
- UK women are 'fattest in Europe' -- BBCNews (23 August 2011)
- Wansink, Brian. Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think. NY: Bantam, 2010.
- [video documentary] Way Beyond Weight (Muito Além do Peso) -- Maria Farinha Films (84 min., 2012.09.01)
alternate links: <http://documentaryaddict.com/Way+Beyond+Weight-9914-documentary.html> <http://www.thegreatplanet.com/way-beyond-weight/> <http://paleodiethouston.com/2013/02/19/way-beyond-weight/>
- While Warning About Fat, U.S. Pushes Cheese Sales
By MICHAEL MOSS
When sales of Domino's Pizza were lagging, a government agency stepped in with advice: more cheese. This is the same government that, for health reasons, is advising less cheese.
[in other words, buy cheese, but don't eat it.]