- Carroll, Abigail, Three Squares: The Invention of the American Meal. NY: Basic Books, 2013.
- Flandrin, Jean Louis. Arranging the Meal: A History of Table Service in France. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2007.
- Food: Transforming the American Table, 1950-2000 -- National Museum of American History, Smithsonian
- Fox, Robin. "Food and Eating: An Anthropological Perspective," Oxford, UK: Social Issues Research Center, pp. 1-22.
- Haber, Barbara. From Hardtack to Home Fries: An Uncommon History of American Cooks and Meals. New York: The Free Press, 2002.
- Jurafsky, Dan. The Language of Food: A Linguist Reads the Menu. NY: Norton, 2014.
- Latham, Jean. The pleasure of your company: a history of manners & meals. London: A. and C. Black, 1972.
- Levenstein, Harvey. Revolution at the Table: The Transformation of the American Diet . University of California Press, 2003.
- Levenstein, Harvey. Paradox of Plenty: A Social History of Eating in Modern America, Revised Edition . University of California Press, 2003.
- McMillan, Sherrie. “What Time is Dinner?”. History Magazine, October/November 2001.
- Pollan, Michael. The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals. NY: Penguin, 2006.
- Shapiro, Laura. Something from the Oven: Reinventing Dinner in 1950s America. NY: Penguin, 2005.
- Smith, Andrew F. Eating History: Thirty Turning Points in the Making of American Cuisine. Columbia University Press, 2011.
- This, Hervé, and Malcolm DeBevoise. Building a Meal: From Molecular Gastronomy to Culinary Constructivism. NY: Columbia University Press, 2009.
- Turner, Katherine Leonard. How the Other Half Ate: A History of Working-Class Meals at the Turn of the Century (California Studies in Food and Culture). Berkeley: University of California Press, 2014.
- Warner, Melanie. Pandora’s Lunchbox: How Processed Food Took Over the American Meal. NY: Scribner, 2013.
- Wilson, Bee. Consider the Fork: A History of How We Cook and Eat. Basic, 2012.
- Ziegelman, Jane, and Andrew Coe. A Square Meal: A Culinary History of the Great Depression. NY: HarperCollins, 2016.